Chapter Ten (Pt. 1)

I need to get away from here, from this city, from her. It is unbearable being here, in the same place, the same vicinity as Elizabeth Barrow. She has run away with the only memories that have surfaced inside me, despite Donovan's curse. I need to leave this place and forget the girl, but I can't—because she was my key, my only hope of recovering what was lost and she is still out there.

A metro ticket is crumpled in my fist as I stand on a station platform, reliving my conversation with Elizabeth. For the third time I watch the doors close on a docked metro train, its long line of dirty cars easing away from the station. The squealing sound of metal on metal bounces back from the arched tunnel above, gradually giving way to the dull roar of machinery until the metro is whisked away, out of sight.

Those who had disembarked the metro file past me and trot up the nearby stairs to the exit. Others stand off to the side, waiting for their corresponding train to arrive. Most of them don't come near me, only the occasional bystander venturing over to offer their assistance. I shake my head, still holding my ticket out of the city, still staring up at the passing metros and unable to move on.

What could I have done to stop Elizabeth from leaving? Nothing is the answer; absolutely nothing. Even if I did stop her, what would I do then? Do I tell her why I need her? Do I tell this blissfully ignorant mortal that the Devil has tampered with my head and she seems to be the only one who can help me? No, I can't imagine that going over very well. I doubt she would ever see me again. Maybe she would even call the cops.

Wallowing in bitterness, I marvel at a world that can provide an aid to my problems and then, just as quickly, take it away. Life; what's so great about life—except everything.

Another metro pulls in, releasing a stream of people that are forced to part ways when they encounter me. The bright, yellow light of the car beckons to me, offering a glimpse of its orange, plaster seating. Only a few seconds before the doors close and I will have to build myself up to attempt the next train.

"If I had known you would be spending your life watching trains pass by I wouldn't have wasted a heart on you."

Out of my peripheral I see Marcus join me, the angel crossing his arms over his chest to stare into the metro car as well. He nods towards the doors, clearing his throat with a casual harrumph.

"You know, I think it's going to leave soon."

"I know," I murmur, tightening my grip on my ticket.

He lifts his shoulders questioningly. "Well, what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to go."

"Okay."

We stand in silence and I remain immobile. The metro's warning bell sounds from the station's loudspeakers, signaling that the doors are about to close.

"Oh, right," remarks Marcus, rubbing his chin with mock thoughtfulness. "You won't be going on this one. I just assumed that after the other three trains had left you would want to get on this one, but well..."

He finishes with a gesture towards the closing doors, their rubber lining squeaking within the tight fitted frame. Abruptly I leave my post, jumping forward and sliding into the metro compartment at the last second. Somehow Marcus manages to find his way in as well and we lurch together as the metro starts forward.

Stumbling against the sway of the car, I grab one of the many poles offered for stability and then make for an empty seat near the back. Several riders ignore me as I pass, others staring openly until they can no longer see me without craning around. As I settle into a bowled seat Marcus plops down beside me, propping his feet up on the head rest in front of him.