zero

Lilly felt the hot sun partially beaming down at her. She didn't mind, her mind was elsewhere. She was following the path of Sophie Amundsen trying to figure out who the philosopher and Hilde were. She's been sitting in the same position for hours, reading the same book she's read at least a thousand times before.

She looked at the old watch on her wrist and sighed. Just as I was about to get to the good part. Standing up, she put the book down on the chair, not worrying about the chances of raining, as it hasn't rained for days, and exited the balcony.

She grabbed her purse and left the small apartment on the first floor of the building. Even though the sun was setting, it burned her exposed shoulders. She smiled as she walked to the school.

"Hello, Mrs. Grimes!" she waved at the brown haired woman.

"Lilly, I already told you to call me Lori."

"Sorry! How's Rick doing?"

"Stable." Lori sighed "But the doctors don't know when he's going to wake up."

Lilly could see the tears starting to form in her friend's eyes. She hugged her tightly.

"He's going to wake up." she rubbed her back "Don't worry."

Lori gave one last sigh and pulled away, wiping her forming tears. Then she smiled.

"You are heading to the school?"

"Yes, do you want me to pick Carl for you?"

"Yes, that would be wonderful, thank you."

Lilly smiled and started walking again. As she passed the small cafe in the main road, she waved at Richard and Helen.

As she arrived at the school, she saw Alexia and Carl playing in the square.

"Hey you two!" she shouted and smiled.

The two kids ran towards her and gave her a big hug.

"Hey, big sis!"

"Hello!" she smiled at the girl. Then turned to Carl "Your mother asked me to pick you up."

"Okay."

When they arrived at Carl's house, Shane Walsh, Rick's friend, was the one to answer the door. He called Lori.

"Hey, Lilly. Thank you so much."

"No problem, Lori."

As she was about to leave, she turned back.

"Hey, Lori, do you think Carl could come to the movies with us tomorrow? We are watching 'How to train your dragon'."

The boy's eyes lit up.

"Please mom?!"

"Okay." she laughed at his excitement.

"Yay!" both kids shouted.

After talking for a few minutes, Lilly and Alexia headed back.

After dinner, James arrived.

"Hey y'all."

"Hey, big bro." Alexia laughed as she jumped in his arms.

They watched TV together, an old show Alexia liked, 'Buffy' it was called.

That night as she was lying down to sleep, her sister, who shared the bed with her, started whispering.

"Hey Lilly..."

"Yes?"

"I love you. More than anything in the world." she giggled a little "Even more than James."

"Hey, I heard that!" their brother whisper yelled from the bed next to theirs.

After Alexia fell asleep, Lilly started to think about their lives. They don't have their parents around. Lilly didn't have a job, therefore James had to work two shifts a day, including weekends. They were running low on money and lived in a crappy apartment, with only one bedroom for the three of them. But at least they were together.

It can't get any worse she thought.

Oh, how wrong she was...