1

The eerie sound of the school bell rings, and the entire school begins to stir uneasily. Gabriel stands outside in the sharp winter air, shifted by the commotion. His hair is dark, and the brightness of his face has faded over the years. This holiday break has been so stressful. As much as he tried to hide it, hints of the depression had come back. He tried not to think about it, but the thoughts were still there.

You're not good enough.

They don't really like you.

The voices echoed through his mind like some shriek of an injured animal.

"Just forget them. Focus on the day. Get through it."

He walked through the now empty hallways, avoiding people. He would put his head down when someone passed.

Don't look at them.

You just ruined their day.

He walks up the first steps, going from class to class. Walking like a programed machine, he treads through the school. The clock ticks and the world is moving like it meant nothing. Suddenly, he looks up. He recognizes the strange handle of the door and the metallic 200 above the entrance.

Shut up.

They don't care.

Gabriel opened the door and his mind was filled with relief. An invisible weight was lifted off of his shoulders. He was the only one in the room. He walked slowly, admiring the theatre like he never had before. He ran his hand over the dark red seats, making his way over to the black box behind them. Gabriel unlatched the make shift opening and stepped inside, the creaking of plywood beneath his feet.

Give up.

You're not good enough.

He sat at the glowing table on the right side and found the aux cord by the dim blue light. The man plugged in his phone and looked up his favorite song.

You cant do it.

No.

I'm more than this dammit.

Press play.

Gabriel slowly lifted the volume until the music had swallowed the room. Over the comments, over the voices, over his own insecurities. He leaned back and closed his eyes, and he had never felt more at home.