Michigan Womyn's Music Festival 1997

Present day 1997 in Michigan

Everywhere I look I see women talking to each other in small sociable groups either laughing or with smiles on their faces, It's obvious what is being discussed between them, MICHFEST! Michfest which is short for Michigan womyn's music festival is the biggest event in the lesbian community that near enough all the gay women, straight women and feminists in America attend to show their pride of being a woman and it is starting in a few days......gah despite being held every year it's still always exciting when the date gets closer and closer.

Michfest has been one of the most political events since if first started in 1976 and still is now in 1997. I mean after all it is 1990s America, what's more political than a bunch of women most of whom are lesbian feminists attending a huge event to fight for their rights? I doubt it's a field day for the Republicans but who cares right? The 1990s has just as many equal rights groups as the 1970s did so it's nothing new really, especially this year..... well that is because there was another big event this year, Lilith Fair. Like Michfest has been for the past 21 years, Lilith fair is just another major but epic way to pretty much shout a big "FUCK YOU!" to anyone who has a problem with women's rights or discriminate women in any way. However, despite the festival seeming like it's for a good reason, not everyone likes the idea behind it mainly because of its policy and the exclusion of Transwomen from being able to attend.

I myself attend Michfest and can't wait to go in a few days but I do not agree with the policy of womyn born womyn, but then again there's nothing that anyone can do about it because Lisa Vogel is adamant on sticking with the policy but maybe in a few years time that might change? I guess we'll have to wait and find out.