Chapter Thirteen - Beginning of Another Downward Spiral

I awoke to my texting tone. I groaned while feeling around on my bed for my phone, eventually I had to actually lift my head and open my eyes to look for it. There it was, three centimeters from my hand, I grabbed it and took Flim-flam outside before reading it. It was from Joshua.

                Josh: Am I allowed to speak to you now?

                Me: I don’t know.

                Josh: Hmm?

                Me: Have you talked to Nere?

                Josh: Yes.

                Me: Did she agree to stop tormenting me if you had anything to do with me?

                Josh: …

                Me: Then no.

                Josh: But…

                I deleted all of the messages. I looked up for Flim-flam and couldn’t find him. Shit. Josh had distracted me and we don’t have a fenced in yard. I ran from my backyard towards the street yelling for my dog. Across the road, I could see Cai and Katrina with their black lab… and my orange akita. Flim-flam was playing nicely with the black lab, at least. I ran over yelling, “I am so sorry!”

                 “Aylin,” Cai whined, “Keep your dog in your own yard. Gosh…”

                “Really am sorry about that. They seem to be playing so nice though.”

                “I don’t know how well Midnight can handle a puppy though. He’s pretty old.” Katrina said.

                “I’ll take him home right away.” I said and called Flim-flam to my side. I waved and walked him back over to the house and let him inside. I turned around to wave but Cai gestured me back over. I did as told, well, motioned in this case, and asked when I got there, “Yes?”

                “How was your visit to St. Louis?”

                “Well, I had to talk Kali out of egging a house and my aunt tried to spend the entirety of the holiday setting me up with her nephew, who I am not related to in any way, shape, or form, just so you know.”  

                “That sounds…”

                I cut him off, “Extremely weird and awkward for all involved? Yes.”

                “I was going to say interesting but that works too.”

                “How was Sherlock?”

                “It doesn’t take a master of deductive reasoning to see that the creators played it very safe with the sequel for some reason unbeknownst to me or Trina.”

                “I’ve decided you are just very hard on movies. Is there any movie you don’t have one complaint about?”

                He thought for a moment and said, “No.”

                “Why am I not surprised?”

                He changed subjects, “What are you doing on New Year’s Eve?”

                “Sitting at home most likely.”

                “Why don’t you walk over here and hang out with Trina and me? One or two of Trina’s friends might show up and a couple of mine but you’re welcome to show up.”