1.

"Some things are simply predestined,
No matter how hard you fight it.”

I stared down to my hands, brittle and nimble they shake on my lap. I can't move them, no matter how hard I try. They simply shake. Stuttering on my lap like a fragile leaf in the wind.
I look up from my lap. My world is dark, desolate and vacant. There’s no sound, only light. Somehow my mind conjures the thought that sound can't travel through a vacuum. I don’t know where the thought arises from but it only seems to rise more questions. I look back to my hands.
Their still twitching.

Where am I?

I'm suddenly reminded, that I can speak. I can make my own sound, test this theory of a vacuum?
My lips part, crusted and dry, my throat parched.

Speak.

It’s a command and it isn’t my own.
I look to my left suddenly disorientated.

Speak.

There it is again, a thought that isn’t my own and I'm suddenly compelled to do as it says.

“Ephony.”

Then my world isn’t so dark anymore and light takes over. It shines in my eye which squint at their own accord.

“Recognition incomplete.”

I whip my head to the sound’s direction but I don’t know which way to turn. The sound is everywhere.
I am not in a vacuum.

Get up.

The unknown command is back. I look down to my hands, noticing they had stopped trembling.

Get up.

The command is more urgent this time.

I stumble to my feet, swaying at the unfamiliarity of the action.

The light suddenly disappears and an empty space in front of me parts. Like a huge pupil it blinks open. A rather violent torrent laps my skin and chills my spin. I stumble back.

Move.

My feet stumble further back, I’d rather not. I think its safer here.

Move!

Eyes wide at the volume of the command I jump in shock. It no longer feels like a thought but a feed from some source and its in my head.
The ground shakes beneath my feet and I rock forward, arms out I reach for the ground but the command stops me.

Stay standing.

And so I do.

I smell carbon. I look to the open eye and a metal vehicle approaches me, spewing a toxic fume. It coughs it way to me and stops just ahead. Out the vehicle steps out a man and woman.

Humans.

My mind is still foggy but their approaching, nearing and the instinct wired into my form screams run. But I'm glued in place. Their getting closer.

I look to my fingers, their shaking again.

“Where do you think she came from?” the female questions. In her hands is a heavy weapon,  danger hooking its every curve.

My breath in take increases.

Run!

It screams.

And so I do.

My legs pump with adrenaline and the scenery seems to enhance itself. The space behind me isn’t like the one that was in front of me. No, here its got rich leaves and tree trunks my height in width. There’s noise all over and the loudest and most evident of them all seems to resonate from the humans behind me.