Water is My Worst Enemy

Violetta

I've been doing a lot of thinking for the past week. It seems that's all I've ever done, but I can't help it. While my time here, in a simple town in New Jersey, was pleasant and normal....it wasn't home. What you need to understand is that my past...wasn't a pleasant one. It was more than just losing my parents. I lost a part of myself, a part I could never come back to. Not because I couldn't, but I just didn't want to. My life was here and nothing could ever change that. 

I went down stairs to grab breakfast when I saw Ludmilla and Federico all ready at the table with  breakfast covering the table. I looked at it questioningly, "What's all this for?"

Federico gestured towards my seat with a stack of pancakes and a birthday candle. "Happy Birthday Vilu." 

I blew the candles out and looked at my two best friends with tears on the rim of my eyes, ready to pour out. Things such as this always pulled on my heartstrings, and knowing they were always here for me made this day that much better. 

"So..what did you wish for?" Ludmilla eagerly asked. I thought about it for awhile, but I just didn't know. 

"Nothing." I simply said, " I mean why wish when I had everything I could ask for... having best friends till the very end." 

We all came in for a group hug when Fede spoke out "Well...what are we still doing here? Come on let's get ready for the beach!"

At that moment, I froze. Not the beach. "Umm...Fede. What do you mean? As in we're actually GOING?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "Yeah, why not? It's been years since you've been down. Come on you've avoided the beach since you first moved in with us. Don't you think its time to revisit?"

Ludmilla with her arms crossed joined in, "Yeah. I mean I don't get it. If it's the ocean you're scared of you know we can teach you how to swim."

I got really nervous. I couldn't head to the beach, especially the water. I've worked so hard to avoid this problem. Going now would ruin everything. "Well it's my birthday can't we do something that I want to do?"

"Nope." They said in unison, "Now go get ready."

I groaned as my made my way upstairs to get my bag. Years of hiding and its all gonna get ruined because my friends want to go to the beach. 

As we arrived, I could feel my heart beating faster and faster. The ocean waves were pounding against the rocks, kids were squirting each other with a water gun, people dripping wet were lying under the sun. My life was going to be over. I came to a spot that had less people and had its good distance from the ocean. Federico and Ludmilla exposed their bathing suits while I remained fully clothed. 

"Look! There's a beautiful Atlantic Ocean waiting for us let's go!" Ludmilla yelled as she and Fede ran for the crystal blue ocean waves. I, however stayed on the towel with a book in hand under a big yellow beach umbrella. 

It's been two hours in this dreadful place and I hadn't gotten wet once. Then again I should be used to this by now, I've only practiced this skill since I first came here to New Jersey. Anyway, I sat up and continued to look at the ocean. The more I looked at it, the more calm I felt. I had almost forgotten how beautiful the ocean was, but to go in...I wouldn't dare. 

Ludmilla came back soaking wet, but she managed to keep her distance. She rolled her eyes when she spoke, "You know the point of the beach was to have fun?"

"I am having fun. This book is filled with all kinds of adventures. Fun. Fun. Fun."

"I mean, you should be out there in the ocean with me and Fede. I really don't understand what your problem is?" Ludmilla started to raise her voice, and the tension between us was getting rougher by the second. I could sense it already...another fight was going to happen.