Bad News

I woke up to the house very silent. Not very usual in my house, since my brother is usually always playing with toys, or pretending that he's being chased by someone or a ghost. And my mom is always cooking or doing the bills or cleaning the house. Sometimes I find her crying..

I pushed myself to sit up, and sat there for a minute. Remembering that my dear Luke had crossed the ocean last night. My heart skipped a couple beats and it took me a few seconds to be able to breath again. I finally stood up and sprinted downstairs. 

My mom and brother were nowhere to be found. I looked in the kitchen to find them both sitting at the table in front of the television, staring at their uneaten waffles. 

They heard my footsteps as I walked in and their eyes got wide when they looked up at me. My stomach turned a bit as I asked "What's wrong with you guys?". Their faces were as pale as a white sheet, and they were shaking. They had tears in their eyes.

My eyes started to tear up, too. My mom opened her mouth to say something, but no words came out. She pointed at the television as the news person said, "Plane number 6592 is nowhere to be found. We were in contact with the pilot and co pilot for about half an hour after they took flight over sea, and suddenly the radio went dead. We can no longer track the plane, the detector signal is lost. Scientists and airiport workers believe that the plane lost signal and immediatley crashed into the ocean. Rescue crews are out on the look out and are trying to find the remains of the plane, and are hoping to find that the passengers survived the apparent crash. We will get back to you with this story later, on KCRA3 News Reports.". The last thing I remember after that is darkness.

"How much longer will she be out?" I heard the faint voice of my mother. Her voice was echoing and it was very fuzzy. 

"Anytime now. An hour at the most." An unfamiliar voice answered my weeping mother. I opened my eyes slowly, and adjusted them to the bright light in the room. It was white in this room. But where was I?" I strained my eyes and peered around the room, realizing I was in a hospital room. In my own hospital bed. 

"Mum.." I mumbled. My mom rushed to my side, carressing my cheek. 

"Yes, Makayla?? Are you awake?" She was crying. There was suddenly a numbness on the top of my head. Then I felt the needle that the nurse had put into my arm. I clenched my teeth. I hate needles.

"Yes. I'm fine." But then I remembered. Luke. The plane. Was it all just a dream? Or was it real? Had Luke, my whole entire life, slip away from me forever? Was he really.. Dead?? 

My eyes shot wide open. "LUKE. WHERE IS LUKE, MOM?" She held me down, and the nurse helped. "Honey, calm down."

She had terror in her voice. She was scared, sad, angry. I knew it. I figured it was useless and stopped trying to get away from them. I broke down into tears.

"You passed out and hit your head on the tile floor. You have a minor concussion, you will be okay by tomorrow." She tried to calm me down.

"Tell me." I said through my teeth. "Tell me, mom. Tell me he's dead. I ALREADY KNOW HE IS DEAD, MOM, JUST SAY IT." The nurse inserted a needle into my arm, and I felt a rush of drowsiness. My eyelids got very heavy, and I didn't fight it when my brain screamed at me to close them. 

I sat on the couch. Wondering how I was gonna live anymore. Maybe I should run away. No, you'll still have to live with yourself, knowing that your one and only true love is gone. Never to touch him again, never to hear his tired voice again, never to rest your head on his warm chest and listen to the sound of his heart and him taking breaths ever again. 

Pure torture is what it sounded like to me. I was going crazy. I felt a warm tear run down my cheek, as I grasped the thought of him never coming back. It was just the other day that he had been in my arms for hours, and the thought of never touching him again made my heart swell. This was like a replay of my life. All of the misery was coming back. All my life, I was missing my father. Now, Luke was gone too.