Three

"That's all of the textbooks," Mr Fortescue said, "We'll get everything else next week."

Thick books weighed down the tea-stain brown bags Violet held, her fingers red from gripping the handles. "Thank Merlin," she sighed, "I don't think I can carry anything else right now."

The greying man grinned, "We'll go on saturday for the rest then?"

"Very funny," Violet raised her eyebrows, "You know there's no way I'm going school shopping on my birthday. I'll be too busy practicing apparation, anyways."

"The whole day?" Florean questioned, "I guess that means there will be no time for opening presents-?"

"We can fit that in." She grinned. The pair were headed down Diagon Alley, making their way up to the ice cream shop just before the sunset; although painted in the sky already was faded swirl of strawberry and custard.

As they neared the little mint walled building, a hooded figure could be spotted pacing outside. They were tall and broad, taking large strides back and forth before looking up to see Violet and her father nearing. Almost suddenly the stranger came to a halt and waited deadly still beside the door. Instinctively, Florean placed a hand over the wand in his pocket and Violet fumbled through one of her bags to grab hold of hers.

"Can I help you, sir?" Fortescue asked. As they neared the unexpected visitor, his face became visible under the shadow of his cloak. He had a sharp jaw and prominent nose, but most noticeably his eyes were bright cobalt.

"Fortescue," Deep and steady, his voice sent a shiver down Violet's spine. "We need a chat."

"Right." Florean's eyes narrowed, but he remained calm, "Would you like to come inside-?"

"That won't be necassery, we shouldn't be long."

Trying not to show her obvious suspicion of the stranger, Violet slid past her father to the shop door, where she quickly glanced back at the strangers face only to see the back of his hood.

~

Ten minutes had past when Violet heard her father yell a defence charm.

She was sat anxiously in her room waiting for her father to walk in and tell her what had happened when the shout made her jump. Immediately on her feet, Violet ran to the shop font where the stranger had already disappeared, leaving Mr Fortescue catching his breath. When he caught sight of his daughter he tried to compose himself, but there was no hiding the look of shock from his face.

"What happened?" Violet gasped, terrified at the thought of an attack but relieved that her father seemed unharmed.

For a moment he said nothing. Understandably trying to regain his calm, he stared bewildered at the ground until Violet placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Well," he hesitated, taking a deep breath, "just one of those dark magic freaks trying to sell something, got a bit violent when I turned him down."

"Oh." She nodded. Though his eyes wavered, she decided not to question him.

"Don't worry," He reassured her as he noticed her concerned expression, "I'm okay." Suddenly all his features softened into a smile, ironing out the look of terror that had been there just before.

~

A/N: Bit of a short chapter but I haven't updated this in ages and I wanted to make sure you all knew I wasn't dead or something. Also I had no idea how to write this chapter for ages lol it's changed a lot.

Not gonna promise anything soon lol bc I have exams to do and colleges to apply for and revision to cry about but I will be back. At some point.