Prologue

*Sydney*

My eyes drifted closed as I played my audition song again through my headphones. Sitting in the passenger seat of my mother's well used car that was over due for a tune up. We had slept through all of Friday to start driving to Illinois later at night to avoid traffic. We had devised the plan and sequenced it so we'd end up driving all night to get to the auditions early enough to get a place in line. I knew that now was the time, now is when I'll make or break the possibility of a career in music. My audition meant everything.

~Mary~

A huff of air left my lungs as I tried to get all the jitters out. I'm going to be performing a song in front of what could possibly be millions upon millions of people. No pressure at all! My breaths quickened and my vision started to blur. I couldn't pass out though, not so close to having to go to auditions. I slowly slid down the wall next to my plush luxury bed and curled my arms around my knees as they came to my chest. The tears started to slowly make their way down my face and dropped lightly onto the leg of my pants. I squeezed my eyes shut as the salt water made its way to the crease of my lips. I covered my face with shaking hands and tried to quench the on coming panic attack. I needed to do this. For me, my mom and my best friend. Making my way over to the en suite, I splashed my red and blotchy face with cool water and looked at my reflection. I was going through with this audition, and I was going to make it to boot camp, otherwise, tears would be my only future.

#Kiara#

I paced back and forth in the hotel room, my three inch heels from Kohl's clicking against the tiled floor and keeping tempo to the song I was close to performing. Sixteen hours and I'd be on stage and answering to Simon Cowell, Demi Lavoto, Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio and then I'd sing. God, the one way I want to try to get famous I'll be on national television, couldn't get any better! I sighed through my nose as I stood in the middle of the average hotel room. It wasn't too fancy but it definitely bad, certainly not as bad as some people have. I was fortunate, my family was slightly above middle class and I got nice things, just not designer things, and that was fine. But the one thing that I've really wanted but could never have was fame. I'm not an attention seeking whore but I just like being known for things I'm good at, singing one of the strong points. I have the audition in a little more than half a day, and maybe coming to a busy, store-filled city with a shopaholic cousin with the money in her possession wasn't the best idea...