Chapter 9: Before

October 25th

After three weeks, we're almost positive Jason is going to be alright. We moved from outside, back to Nicki's house. Ravyn's been keeping an eye on Jason and tending to all his external wounds with intense kindness, but he still treats Jason terribly in all other degrees. And he won't even tell me why.

Jason's lays sprawled out on the couch downstairs flipping through one of Nicole's old magazines. I sit in the chair with my legs crossed under me reading a book. Ravyn is somewhere around the house. Jason keeps reading from the marked quiz pages throughout the girly magazine causing me to smile with nostalgia at the silly answers. Suddenly, Ravyn stomps down the stairs. I look up from my book and smile gently at his stubbled face, but he just sighs with annoyance making my mouth twist in disappointment.

"Ada-Ravyn. Did you need something?" I ask politely. Ravyn insisted we continue to call him 'Ravyn' and not 'Adam,' his reason being that he's "not the same person anymore." Whatever.

"Who wants to take the first watch tonight?" Ravyn grumbles.

"I could do it!" I suggest excitedly. "Ravyn's been taking watch almost all night the past few weeks, so I'm willing to do it." Jason shakes his head solemnly.

"I don't know, Madi. I'm finally better, so I think I should do it," Jason counters. Ravyn scoffs with rude disagreemnt.

"Can we really trust you, Jason? You know what? I'll just do it, like usual," Ravyn complains.

"Ravyn, Jason, go to sleep. I'll do it. And if you complain, I'm leaving," I state. Oh, Ravyn must hate me for using that threat all the time. Why should I care what Ravyn thinks of me, anyways? But, you do, a tiny voice in my head says. Oh, quiet you.

Ravyn scowls angrily and spins around. I listen as his footsteps thump up the stairs, into his new room. His door slams a few seconds later. God, he's such a baby.

"Good night to you too, Ravyn!" Jason sing songs.

"Oh, shut up, Jason!" Ravyn yells from his residency. Jason smirks, then stands up.

"Good night, Madi," he says gently. He strides over to my chair and leans down to plant a soft, gentle kiss on my forehead. He smiles at me devilishly before disappearing into his room, and closing the door.

What the hell just happened?

As I silently contemplate my life decsions, I mindlessly walk up the stairs to sit in front of the window to watch for attackers. As I stare out at the motionless street, my eyelids droop slowly closed and I fall asleep.

*****

When I wake up, I'm leaning against the full-length window. My fingers shape into a fist, then rub my eye groggily. I stretch and yawn, then notice a dark figure standing in the corner, watching. Terror suddenly fills my chest as the figure silently stalks over and grabs me by the shoulders, shoving me to the floor. I choke back a scream and my attacker rips open my shirts and paws at my chest. I moan pathetically as fingers shove down my jeans before ripping off my panties. Tears fills my eyes as I scream Jason and Ravyn's names. My eyes snap up to stare at the man. Jason's startlingly light blue eyes stare back at me.

"Madi," he moans huskily as he shoves inside me. Sobs rack my chest as blinding pain pierces through my lower half. "Madi, Madi, Madi!" his voice becomes increasingly louder as he pumps his hips in and out of me. Randomly, I feel his hands wrap around my biceps. He shakes me violently as he yells my name.