Part I

As he took his place in line and stared up at the grandiose stairs that, Daemon thought what glory and praise he would receive if he were to be picked to be the only man in the last hundred years to be made a god. Beside him was the woman he loved, Iphis. He loved her but she did not love him. She was what caused him to be at the back of the line. She had promised him a kiss if he brought her to the staircase but when Daemon went to see her this morning, her mother had told him that she was asleep still. Iphis had taken what felt like an eternity to get ready and by the time they got there the line was at the bottom of the staircase. All the old heroes had been killed already and those who remembered a time when they roamed are few and far between.

As Daemon was gazing up at Olympus in awe, and Iphis stood stiffly, the Moirai, the three fates, appeared. Clotho whispered to Lachesis, "He's the one!"

"Indeed he is," Atropos confirmed.

Clotho continued to spin the thread, Atropos brandished her shears, ready to cut, and Lachesis' job was left unattended as she spoke a single word to Daemon.

"Come."

Daemon's head snapped to the fates and his eyes widened as he gazed upon the old women who controlled the fate of all mankind. He stepped forward but before he made it far Clotho commanded, "Bring the girl."

He grabbed Iphis' hand and as soon as their skin touched a dizzying feeling overtook both of them. When the feeling dispelled they stood in front of massive gold thrones in which sat people that were so beautiful they seemed other-worldly.

The man that sat in the biggest throne rose.

"Welcome Daemon, Iphis," the man said, his deep voice booming, as he nodded to each of them. "I am Zeus and this is my council. Daemon, you have been chosen by the fates to become the newest god. But I must ask why do think you're worthy of this?"

As Daemon stuttered out his answer all the gods assembled gazed at him, wondering how this human was any different from the rest. All of them but Aphrodite, who looked between Daemon and Iphis. As the goddess of love, she could see the love that Daemon had for Iphis. She could also sense how Iphis did not share in his love.

She held up her hand and Daemon stopped his stuttering.

"This human does not know why he is worthy. Let him prove himself by doing a task." Aphrodite looked to Zeus who gave a nod of understanding.

"Go now Daemon and Iphis. In the morn, you will receive a message. This message will detail what your task is. For now, we must deliberate," Zeus proclaimed. With a wave of his hand, the dizzying feeling swept through Iphis and Daemon and they disappeared.

"He is not worthy," stated Athena, the goddess of wisdom.

"I agree, but the Moirai chose him. We can't go against fate," Hermes, the messenger god, reasoned.

"This task is another issue that we must discuss," said the goddess of the harvest, Demeter.

Ares, the god of war, cut in violently, "Let's have him kill the Chimera."

"No, that has been done before," said Hephaestus, who was rather bored and would have liked to be in his forges, as he was the god of blacksmiths.

"Let's have him drink some of my wine. If he becomes impaired he's not worthy," Dionysus slurred.

"The heaviest drunkard wouldn't stand a chance so how could he? Even you are impaired after drinking a single cup and you're the god of wine!" Hermes interjected.

"We are getting off track," said Aphrodite, throwing a glare at Dionysus. "My idea was to make the boy find an honorable way to make the girl fall in love with him. He loves her already. Getting her to fall for him should be simple."

They all nodded, but Ares seemed unhappy that nothing would be killed.

"It's decided. The boy must honorably make the woman he loves, fall in love with him."