chapter 1

Tobais

I reach the bureau and hop from the truck.  I see Cara near the strange sculpture Tris showed an interest in the first day here. Caras eyes meet mine. A look of agony crosses her face in a sudden wave of despair that seemed to devour her. I rush to her side desperate for the answer to why she is so devestated. 
"Cara, what happened?" I asked confused.  She gave me a look that reminded me of the question I should be asking.  "Cara," I hesitate for a moment "Cara, where's Tris?" She looked at me with a slightly less agonized look.
"Tris?" She asked, seeming confused by my worry. "Four, Tris is fine." She gave me a worried look. "Caleb,"  she choked on the words "Wasn't so lucky." She finished. I sighed with relief. "But, Tris was shot." Cara continued.  I froze and my breath caught in my throat. 
"What?" I gasped, when I could finally breathe. "Is she hurt bad?" Cara looked at me.
"No, she's waiting for you." She replied steadily "In the hotel." As soon as she finished talking I ran as fast as my legs could go straight to the hotel room.  I burst through the door. Tris is laying there her left side down to her hip was encased in some sort of cast. 
"Tobais." She breathed, a grin so brilliant spread across her face.  Clearly the result of pure happiness. I was frozen in place, the result of seeing the love of my life encased in plaster. I love her so much.  I will find who shot her.  If it's the last thing I do.  When I thawed out of my anger,  I rushed to her side. 
"Tris,  what happened?" I asked worriedly.  A look of dread crossed her face.
"Caleb went into the weapons lab." She took a deep breath. "David was there with a gun." She looked me in the eyes. " I rushed in to help caleb,  to make sure he got the memory serum deployed. When I got there he was already dead.  So I had to get the job done. David shot me.  But I pulled through anyway.  I got the serum deployed. And I made it out alive." I stared at her with wide eyes,
"Tris, you could have been killed." I shreiked "I could have lost you!" My eyes welled up with tears with just the thought of losing her.  I stared at her and she stared back,  all of a sudden,  her eyes closed and her head rolls to the side.  For a minute I panicked,  then she took a breath and I knew she just fell asleep.