Chapter 3

Navarra was the only city in all Pais with elected officials, though even the governor was subject to the rule of the Aranian king. The king usually sent his messengers and tax collectors four times a year. For what started out as a small settlement, Navarra now had the capability of defending itself even from the three kingdoms of Pais.

They rode up to the stone walls encompassing the west entrance of Navarra. The walls were as high as any fortress, but there was no castle behind the perimeter. Navarra was uniquely designed, as it started off three centuries ago much smaller. Now it was one small town and two large towns combined to make one major city. They each had their own walls, but were also entwined together. At night, the main gates closed, but the gates of each side of town stayed open for one another. Each gate would have at least two guards standing by to keep an eye on the night prowlers. It beat living in a village close by that didn't have the night guards to keep potential bandits at bay.

The gate was already drawn open as they trotted over the bridge and into the city. The ditch was certainly deep enough below, which always made Ivan nervous when visiting as a student. People of the city still told the story of fifteen years ago, when the east gate somehow collapsed as to caravans were crossing over escorted by three order members. Only two died in the incident, but it was enough to make a kid dread each crossing since.

The streets were empty, save for a few early morning workers getting started. While in Spire, Ivan had become accustomed to early mornings and long days. The people of this town seemed to wake a bit later. A few stable boys were feeding horses, farmers checking on crops, but no shop clerks were opening just yet.

Ivan couldn't remember when he got the idea, that being in the Order would give him prestige above even the loyalist of knights and the accommodations along with it. The inn that Ferus chose for them to stay in, was located in the lower end of Navarra. The shack was old and rats were a muck all in the back rooms. They ended up getting a room on the second floor and it was no better. Each creak from taking a step made Ivan feel safer back on the bridge, and the roof had holes, which made him thankful they weren't in the rainy months.

"You'd better get comfortable," said Ferus to Ivan. "And maybe get a nap in if you can. Busy day ahead of us starting mid-day."

Ivan looked around disbelievingly, he was sure something had just scurried under his drawer. Ferus must have seen it too because he chuckled a bit. "Hell, at least they have dressers, right?" he pointed out.

"I thought we were Order members not peasants," Ivan said sarcastically.

Ferus didn't approve of the tone and stepped forward applying his intimidation once again.

"Be grateful, boy," he snarled into his ear. "When I was your age, I sometimes had to sleep in a tree to make sure I wasn't eaten overnight."

Ivan didn't know whether that were true or not, but he honestly didn't care. This was low. He never considered himself a noble, but this was peasant living if he ever saw it. It seemed lowly for mages of the Order. Gen and Bret had stopped at some shops at the front of town and claimed to be getting a room at a different inn. Ivan had no doubts, that wherever they stayed, it would much better.

Ferus dropped his bag and said something about going out to meet with one of the Order's contacts in the city. "You get some rest and I'll be back later," he said.

Ivan laid down on the mattress, which he was sure smelled like a mix of vomit and urine washed off with rain water. He was staring at the ceiling as the small beams of sunshine rested on his face. He could here a couple having an argument next door through the thin walls. Something about lost coin. Was this what he was so eager to get away from Spire for?  He had seen many of mages over the years. Usually delicate and noble seeming. He remembered as a child seeing them come in and everyone whisper in awe. Times had changed, yes, but that wasn't what this was. This was just Ferus. He had chosen the wrong master. He had a choice, didn't he? Ferus told him he had back in the headmaster's chamber. Ivan was too eager to learn from the famed Ferus. Now he wasn't sure he could change his mind. He wouldn't quit. He would just have to finish this apprenticeship as fast as possible.