Frankly Franky: Chapter Three - The Past

Chapter Three - The Past

 Life through Marcus’s eyes.

Aka Marcus’ POV

The bell signalled the end of class, and instead of being relieved, I felt pissed. I grabbed my books and stormed out, knocking a boy’s shoulder out of the way.  I didn’t even mean to spill his damn, disgusting coffee. If I wanted Costello feel pain, I would of put him in hospital.

 I opened my locker door, grabbed my books and stared glumly at my hockey skates. I wouldn’t need them today

“Hey Marcus,” Tyler said, jogging up to catch me.

“Hey Tye,” I mumbled back. “I can’t come to practice today, will you let coach know?” I asked him.

“Dude!” he said. “There’s only a month away until the finals, you can’t miss practice.”

“Well, you try and tell Costello that – he’s such a dick,” I began. “I’ve got detention.”

“Okay man, coach won’t be too happy though,” he replied.

“Yeah, I know. I’ll catch you later, alright?”

“Sure,” he said, as he waved goodbye.

As I reached the Biology classroom, I internally groaned. There she was, the clumsy skater girl whose name slipped my mind. She entered the classroom looking oddly tense and nervous. Well, I thought to myself, at least I won’t be Costello’s punching bag this lesson.

“You’re both late,” Costello said, greeting us.

“And you’re a douche,” I muttered underneath my breath.

“What was that, Woods’?” Costello narrowed his beady eyes at me.

The girl started laughing in response.

“What’s so funny, Francesca?” He drawled. She instantly froze, looked down at her desk and mumbled something incoherent. So her names Francesca, suits her.

**

Life through Franky’s eyes

AKA Franky’s POV

I was relieved leaving detention. I was nervous at first, knowing Marcus was going to be there. After all, I had smashed his window and stolen chocolate from his firm grasp.  As soon as Costello decided to shut up though, my muscles had relaxed and I completely forgot Marcus was staring a hole through the back of my head.

Grabbing my skateboard from my locker, I belted towards the parking lot before Costello decided to give me another detention. I knew I would regret skating in this weather, on the frozen pavement, where I couldn’t get any grip or traction. I was willing to risk it anyway. I had to get home before four thirty, or else my cat would go loco from food deprivation. He was a fierce cat, and I needed fierceness in my life, even if it only came from my pet.

I guess you could say I put my brain before my pride as I lifted my skateboard underneath my arm and started walking. It was literally impossible to navigate through this weather, let alone skate. I was kicking at the pavement with my sneakers, my arm tiring and growing sore as I dragged myself towards my house. Maybe there would be a snow day, and I wouldn’t have to go to school, and I could snuggle with my kitty Marms.

Wrapping my scarf tighter around my neck from the cold, I didn’t notice the gloved hand snatching my back pack until it was too late. Spontaneous and sporadic, absolutely unbelievable, I couldn’t even begin to fathom how I didn’t notice the shady looking guy walking a little too close on the pavement next to me.