1 - How It Begins

So, this is how it ends.

Alone, sitting on the bleachers, watching everyone embrace and dance and have a good old time. I'm donned in my best suit, my fluffy Afro tied back behind my head, even got my shoes polished for such an occasion. Though, none of this fazes me, not even slightly. I didn't even want to come tonight, but Mum insisted. She keeps saying that I haven't left the house since the fight, that I haven't been to school in three weeks, that my education is important. Up until now, education was the furthest thing from my mind. All that mattered to me were the friends I had, the girls I slept with, the impression I made on everyone around me. I had it all figured out. At least, I thought I did.

But now, glancing around at everyone here, I had other problems on my mind. Being back here, seeing everyone from my classes, and from the group I was once involved in, it was just a shadowing reminder that I was now alone in terms of my high school popularity. I had no one. Everyone I knew, everyone I was friends with, now pretended that I didn't exist. That I was just a shattered memory they would rather soon forget then at least say 'hi' to in the hallway. I wonder if that's how it's going to be from now on whenever I have to go to class. Instead of high fives, will it be shoulder barges? Instead of a classic 'how's it going?' will that be replaced with a 'drop dead!' I want to think that everyone will be a lot more mature than that, but that's not the case. My wrath is coming, that was inevitable.

Still, I can't help but wonder how my life is going to be at this point now. Everyone here looks like they're having a good time. They all have their friends, their partners, their lovers, surrounding them. What have I got? Polished shoes, a tailored suit and a spare key to unlock the house when I get home. Though, that doesn't sound like a bad idea right now. Maybe I should just go home. I'm starting to get bored just sitting here.

The weight of the seat creaks under my butt, like someone else, has joined me on the step I sat on. I glanced down to my left. Sure enough, a girl sits only a few feet away from me. She's wearing a beautiful, short, strapless, blue dress, her golden blonde hair is in ringlets, her eyes are wide and staring at the scene of the dance floor in front of the both of us, and she's wearing a look of defeat, as she glances from the view to her shoes, tapping them against the hard wood. Only one thought swims through my mind.

I have never seen this girl before.

Did she come here with someone? Was she new? Exchange student? Party crasher? I couldn't put my finger it. She was a stranger to my eyes, yet I couldn't stop staring. Was I just invoked by her sudden appearance? Her obvious loneliness? So many questions.

Her eyes glanced up, shifting from her feet to the dancefloor, and then right to me, all in a split second. It was in this moment that our eyes connected, enveloping me in the deep, sky blue of her irises, like a breathtaking view of the ocean from the mountains. They caught me by surprise, and I could feel the heat rise to my cheeks as I was caught out, but I couldn't pull my gaze away.

"Can I help you?"

Her voice awoke me from my trance, as an annoyed, bland tone followed through on the tip of her tongue, like the site of me was putrid and uncalled for.

I quickly glanced away, forcing my eyes back to the dancefloor, as I responded with a low-voiced, "Sorry."

What did it matter to me who this girl was? By the sounds of it, she was pretty annoyed by me just sitting here. Maybe she's a friend of Rob or Elenor. It wouldn't surprise me. Word travels fast in this school.

"What did you just say?"

The sound of her voice snapped me back to her attention, as her gaze had changed from an annoyed glare to a surprisingly curious stare.