Apologies

Sarah D’Souza <sarahcookiemonster@yahoomail.com>

To: Daniyaal Husseini <daniyaalhusseini@gmail.com>

Re: Apologies

23/1/13, 6:20 AM

Dear Daniyaal,

I sincerely apologize. Please forgive me, my foot is almost perpetually in my mouth.

Shall I mail the book to you? You never know when you might need it.

I told my husband about you, by the way. I said to him, “So, honey, guess what.”

(His name is Jean, by the way).

He said, “What?” He was reading up some stuff on Cricinfo so I knew he wasn’t paying much attention.

I said, “I met this lovely man who sent me letters he meant to send to someone else by mistake, and we got chatting and he’s really rather attentive and kind and we’re good friends now.”

He said, “That’s nice.”

India won the ODI series against Australia yesterday. I realise that now.

I said, “Aren’t you going to ask me more about him?”

He looked at me over the edge of his laptop and said, “Do I have any reason to?”

And I thought about the way you say “My dear Sarah” in my head, and I told my husband, “No, of course not.”

He kissed me and then I turned on my side and tried to sleep. I couldn’t.

Oh, Daniyaal. Please do forgive me. You see, my husband and I just moved in here five months ago. I rang up our supervisor and I asked him about the past tenants and he told me the most dreadful thing. Please forgive me for asking. Please.

He said a woman lived here before us. He said that she was found in the bathtub with a toaster plugged in under the water sometime last year. He said that she was British and she had a boyfriend who lived here with her.

Oh, Daniyaal. Please forgive me. Please forgive me. I’m so sorry.

6:21 AM

Daniyaal, I can’t sleep. Please reply. Please.

6:21 AM

Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon@googlemail.com>

To: Sarah D’Souza <sarahcookiemonster@yahoomail.com>

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

<daniyaalhusseini@gmail.com>

Technical details of permanent failure:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain gmail.com. The error that the other server returned was:

The email account that you tried to reach does not exist.

*