Chapter 1

It was Friday. A nice day, it had been. A few clouds scattered across the sky, the weather cool without being cold. Unfortunately, I had not been able to enjoy the weather. I was at the rink with Yuuri all day that day.

He left before I did, I think that was the first mistake. I wanted to skate alone for a while, to work out some things I'd been having trouble with in my program. It was a good reason to stay behind, I know, but that doesn't stop me from regretting it.

See, if I'd gone home with Yuuri like I usually did, I would have been home before the murder happened.

I assume it was a murder, anyway. I'd heard a scream, which is why I ended up walking towards the dead woman on the ground. A knife in her chest, blood pooled around her. I should've called the police, but I only stood there pondering what her blood and flesh would taste like for longer than I should've been at the scene in any case.

I rushed home, without calling the police, to find Yuuri working on dinner. Unappetized as I was, I took a shower to clear my thoughts.

I remember wondering what happened to me. Why I was so intrigued by the blood, by the body. That was the first time I felt something like that and as much as I wished - as I still do wish - that was the last time, it was not.

The thought of cannibalism lingered on my mind throughout the night, and remained the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that. I suppressed it for nearly a week, in favor of not worrying Yuuri by going out alone at night.

However, the feeling I had, the want for human flesh, only got stronger. I didn't make it a week without acting on it. That was my second mistake: letting that urge consume me.

The night I decided to act on it, I took a big risk. I trusted that no one knew that the skates weren't the only thing I brought to the rink with me.