Scene One: Christian's Montmarte Flat

It is the year 1900. A dwarfish man sits in the window sill, looking out at the view. It is a spectacular view and should make him feel relaxed, but all he feels is sorrow.  A wave of gloom had overswept the city. From his window he can see Christian, an English poet who the year before had come to Paris to take on the penniless career of a writer. Christian is sitting in his lonely, dark, and gloomy room in front of a typewriter. He sits there sobbing. The dwarfish man begins to sing:

There was a boy. A very strange, enchanted boy. They say he wandered very far over land and sea. A little shy and sad of eye, but very wise was he. And then one day, a magic day, he passed my way. And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings, This he said to me: The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.

I sit in the dark room with a typewriter in front of me. Sobbing, I begin to type:

This is a story of truth, beauty, freedom, and above all things....LOVE.

The Moulin Rouge.....a nightclub, a dance hall, and a bordello. Ruled over by Harold Zidler. A kingdom of nighttime pleasures, where the rich and powerful come to play with the young and beautiful creatures of the underworld. And the most beautiful of all these was the woman I loved, Satine, a Courtesan. She sold her love to men. They called her the "Sparkling Diamond", and she was the star....of the Moulin Rouge. The woman I loved......is dead.

I first came to Paris one year ago. It was 1899, the summer of love. I knew nothing of the Moulin Rouge, Harold Zidler, or Satine.  The world had been swept up into the Bohemian Revolution. I traveled from London to be part of it. On a hill near Paris was the village of Montmartre. It was the center of the Bohemian world with musicians, painters, and writers. They were known as the "Children of the Revolution". Yes, I had come to live a penniless existence. I had come to write about truth, beauty, freedom and at which I believe in above all things....love.

There was only one problem, I've never been in love. Luckily, right at that moment an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a man.

Toulouse: How do you do? My name is Henry de Raymond Toulouse-Launtrec Montfa. I'm terribly sorry about all this. We were just upstairs rehearsing a play.

A play, something very modern called "Spectacular, Spectacular."

Toulouse: And it's set in Switzerland!

Unfortunately, the unconscious Argentinean suffered from a sickness called Narcolepsy.

Toulouse: Happily fine one moment then suddenly (snores) unconscious the next.

The doctor: (From the hole in the floor above) How is he?

Audrey: (also through the hole) How wonderful now that narcoleptic Argentinean is now unconscious. And therefore the scenario will not be finished in time to present to the financier tomorrow.

Satie: (also through the hole) Quick Toulouse, I still have to finish the music.

Toulouse: We'll just find someone to read the part.

Audrey:  Oh where in heavens are we going to find someone to read the role of the young, sensitive, Swiss poet goat herder?

Before I knew it, I was upstairs standing in for the unconscious Argentinean.