Chapter 4

Spring had come to London and already it was three months beyond Patrick's tenth birthday. Unfortunately, there were none of the normal joys of spring. This new season only brought a reminder of the massive German bombing of almost four years ago. This time, London was the victim of pilot less, indiscriminate rocket attacks. Morale, however, was never higher. It was spring and spring was still spring. Yet, all over England it was common knowledge that the allies would shortly invade Europe and eradicate the Nazi forever. Still, the buzz bombs came. While this frightening menace continued to wreak havoc, fewer were actually reaching their intended target.

Londoners continued to ewe their very survival to the brave pilots of the Royal Air Force. These young men had learned how to shoot the V-1 out of the air. Another successful method of attack was to fly close to the weapon and tip its wing. The V-1 would then leave its trajectory and fall into the sea. But, it was impossible to get them all and those that got through took a terrible toll.

Young Patrick while only ten years and three months continued to mature which tended to be automatic for an orphan in war tern London. For some strange reason V-1 rockets missed the Shoreditch section where Patrick had taken up residence at Betsy Henry's pub. He sort of adopted Betsy as his mother and considered that the priest could fill the masculine role. Yet, somewhere there was a slight problem, an invisible omen that Pat couldn't put his finger on when it came to figuring out the priest. Perhaps it was a lad's intuition about a man who could have replaced his father.

Father Sean O'Malley had found him this home, had he not? Did he not come to young Patrick's father's funeral? The priest had met Pat's uncle, Major James and they seemed to get along just fine. It was then that his uncle was introduced to Betsy Henry and he agreed to send Betsy five pounds a week to care for the lad. This was only the third time that Pat had seen his uncle and he yearned for a more lasting relationship. But his thought also was on the priest who, while being a savior, had some chilly aura about him. Perhaps someday Pat thought he might slip up to the attic of Betsy's building and learn more.

Betsy tutored the lad from 8:00AM to 1:00PM. This was five hours of straight lessons that she thought was enough. There would be lots of time after the war for a proper education. Pat would have lunch at 1:00PM and then study until midafternoon. His time was his own until 8:30PM. He would eat his fill in the kitchen and then mind the cash register to 11:00PM, then retire.

One of his favourite friends who was a steady customer at Betsy Henry's was the genial, ponderous Casey Ryan who was the last of his ilk. He was a locomotive engineer, the only one who could operate the Huntington-Broadworth engine which was convenient as there was only one of these prodigious monsters left. Whenever schedules permitted Casey would take Patrick up into the cab of the engine and together they would make the rounds. Whenever they came in late, Betsy would say nothing. Not only was Casey a good customer but he could be trusted with the boy. Needless to say, Patrick would never otherwise come in late.

One Saturday morning Casey came into Betsy's for a pint of ale. On weekends only did the pub open before noon and being Saturday a good crown was always present by that time in spite of the horrors of London bombing. Casey Ryan was always a favourite. Glasses were raised as he swaggered up to the bar to order.

He grinned at Betsy and said, "Ah Luv, if I was younger. A beautiful lass like you. Would I give you a run for your money."

Betsy answered so matter of factly, "Try me now, anyone any younger is in training for the invasion. Whatcha waitin' fer, handsome?"

Laughter was heard throughout the pub as Casey blushed and changed the subject quickly. He shouted, "'ave ye 'eard me new Churchill?"

There was appreciative applause as Casey was noted for his Churchill impressions. He introduced his act, "Winnie was in Canada and you should a' 'eard 'im."