Epilogue

It was six years later and Sir Patrick Carrington was an honour student at Eton in this year of our Lord, 1952. Winston Churchill had been elected Prime Minister only a year prior after an uneventful term of Clement Richard Attlee. Patrick, blessed with a Royal Scholarship and his unique knighthood succeeded in breaking through the class society of English social existence. It actually became a joy to announce his address as Crumbsford Alley, daring any of the upper crust to poke fun at this undesirable address.

At this particular time, Patrick was a long way from home. He was aboard the Canadian National Express from New York City to Toronto, Canada. He and his parents had just completed a most enjoyable week's cruise aboard the luxury liner Queen Mary from Southampton to New York. They had planned a fortnight's holiday in Southern Ontario When Canada was alerted that a Knight in his Majesty's realm was visiting and it was decided that a Royal Welcome befitted the occasion. As Toronto was also to be blessed by a visit of the Prime Minister, Louis Stephen St. Laurent, what could be more fitting than this youngest knight being welcomed by the Prime Minister of Canada?

The train pulled into Union Station at a very slow rate of speed. Patrick was aware that some sort of grandiose welcome was in the planning, he looked tout the window of the train and was puzzled by people weeping and embracing each other. The brass band was there but there were no players. The whole area was stricken with despair.

As Patrick alighted a distinguished statesman who simply asked, "Are you Sir Patrick Carrington", met him.

Patrick, puzzled by this lack of pomp and protocol, simply nodded in the affirmative.

The statesman bowed. "I am Louis St. Laurent and I bear grave tidings. His Majesty the King is dead. Long Live the Queen."