Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Destiny

       Ariella suddenly snapped in my face, causing me to look at her. "Sorry, what?"

       Ariella snorted. "You keep zoning out and I've been trying to go over the blocking with you for the play. Come on, let's go find somewhere else to go over this. My fault for thinking you could actually concentrate in The Gold Mine."

       She stood up but I grabbed her arm. "No no no, I promise I'll concentrate."

       "Okay, fine, but we're sitting somewhere else," Ariella said. "Somewhere where you can't look into the kitchen."

       "....Fair enough."

       We stood up and, unfortunately, walked over to another table. Ariella started going over the blocking with me again, but I was still finding it hard to concentrate, this time it being a whole other reason. It wasn't easy to learn the blocking for a play that I haven't even seen during rehearsals.

       "You know what I don't get?" I asked. "Why Courtney and Annie keep telling me I'm not needed for rehearsal. I'm the understudy, so I have to be there."

       "Oh, I know the answer," Ariella said. "Courtney is able to brainwash Dan's mom so easily, and Courtney saw you as a threat just because Dan was being nice to you."

       "That's rude," I said. "Then again, I was kind of hoping they would break up. Is that mean?"

       "Mean?" Ariella repeated. "Ha, I've been wishing they broke up for years now. Same with Priya. And Gerard. And Eldon. So, no, you aren't the first one wishing for them to break up. You are the first one, however, to want them to break up just so you can have Dan for yourself."

       "Shut up. I never said that."

       "Yes, but you're constantly eyeing him."

       "It's not my fault he's sweet and kind and amazing and very attractive and...." I sighed and shook my head. "I'm in over my head, aren't I? What are the chances he'll like me?"

       "Well, considering who his last girlfriend was, I'd say pretty high," Ariella said. "I've known him for years. You're, like, a girl version of him."

       "What about that saying? Opposites attract?"

       "Screw that. Dan and Courtney are opposites. He's nice, she's a bitch. He's friendly, she's a bitch. He's helpful, she's...."

       "A bitch?" I finished.

       "Yes."

       I rolled my eyes as the door to The Gold Mine opened and Courtney walked in. I immediately looked away, knowing she would most likely glare at me like she always did whenever she saw me. I didn't even know why she hated me so much.

       Apparently though, Dan was actually waiting tables. I thought he was just working in the kitchen today, but he soon walked out with a few orders and started giving them to the tables.

       Dan completely ignored Courtney, walking passed her to give a table their food. However, as soon as he finished, Courtney turned so she could face him. "Dan, can we talk?" she asked in a soft voice. "Please?"

       "I'm working," Dan said before walking passed her and went to the kitchen to get another order.

       "Just give it up, Courtney," Ariella said. "It's your fault you cheated on him."

       Courtney glared at her younger sister. "Yeah, and he wouldn't have known if you didn't tell him."

       "I didn't tell him," Ariella said. "I told Destiny."