Three: News?

Hey, before I get started with this chapter, I want to thank @Gabz_Bear for being the first to vote on this book. So, thank you!

"Ow..."

I'm riding with Loke in his Suburban. He's given me a bunch of tissues to stop the bleeding.

"How is it now?"

"It hurts like hell," I admit. "It'll be all right."

"Did you get your dad's message? He wants to talk to you about something."

"Now? But I have a shift," I say. I take my phone from my bag and flip it open, realizing I do have a message.

"It won't take that long, I don't think," says Loke. "Plus, you know my driving. I can still get you there five minutes early."

We get to my house, and Loke runs around the front and opens the door for me. We walk up the path to the door and enter. "Did Dad say what he wanted to talk to me about?"

"He should be up in his study. I'll wait for you."

"Okay. Thanks."

I go up the stairs to where my dad's office is. Our house is pretty average sized. The floors are wooden and shiny, and a couple of the walls are all glass. It's pretty nice, since we have an ocean view.

Arriving to his door, I knock and enter.

"Hi Dad," I greet, realizing I still have my tissues held up to my face. "You wanted to talk to me about something?"

"Hello, Lucy." Dad looks up at me from his paperwork. "My god, what happened to you?"

"I got hit in the face by some jerk at school. I'll be fine." I throw the dried bloody tissues in the garbage can and sit down across from him. "So what was it?"

Dad clears his throat. "Right. Lucy... I know this may seem rather shocking..."

"Yeah, what is it?" I can't stand it when he beats around the bush. He did the same when he was telling me my mom died.

He folds his hands together on his desk. "I want you to find someone to be your fiancé."

My mouth drops open at the news. "A-are you serious now?" I ask. "Dad, I'm only sixteen! I--"

"I do realize it is your own choice, but you must understand."

"It's okay, I... I get it. Um, I was expecting it sooner or later..." I'm blushing, I know it.

"All right, dad," I sigh. "But please don't get overly involved. I feel like it would go better if I do it alone."

He nods. "That's exactly what I was going to do."

I check the grandfather clock and realize I'm going to be late for work. "Thanks, dad. I have to get going."

I leave his office, my eyes to the ground.

Who would love me? I'm not that popular. I can't get that many boys to even look at or talk to me. But why does Dad wants me to find a fiancé already? It does seem rather sudden... Although, it is better than forcing me into a marriage or something. I should be grateful. He tries his best to still be an active role in my life. Sure he's missed a few Christmases, but never has he once forgotten my birthday. Ever since we lost mom, he's tried to do everything for me; everything he could while still keeping his company afloat.