Chapter One

I have met him. The master of sorrow, darkness, chaos, and decay: Death. He may be just as you imagined him, I'm told he appears just a little different for everyone. However, I remember him exactly as he presented himself that night, but before we get to any of that let's start with how it all began, 2 years ago, in high school.

"Your homework for tonight is to read chapters 1-6 and write a short summary on what you think the book is trying to tell you about the hardships for young women." Ms. Crackus yelled at all of us. She has always been notorious for waiting until the last minute and yelling over the bell as it rings, expecting us to still be taking notes or something. I guarantee I will forget the homework in about two minutes.

"Come on Abalene! We are going to miss the daily special, and its mac and cheese your favorite." I heard my best friend Danny yell across the hall at me. As soon as I heard mac and cheese the homework I was trying so hard to remember just blanked out of my mind and I was dragging Danny to cafeteria knocking over anyone in my way. Okay not knocking over, but telling them to move and shoving my way through, definitely!

You are probably thinking, school lunch! What is wrong with her?! Well just so you know the only thing my school can make right is the mac and cheese, and since it is my favorite it must be all mine. I finally was able to drag my oversized football player bestie through the crowd and to the lunch line. I stood there bouncing on my toes waiting impatiently, I could just smell the cheese, and almost caught myself drooling. As we got towards the front of the line Danny looked at me and laughed, "I believe that you do have an addiction problem." I just rolled my eyes at him and stuck out my tongue.

"I see you have made it to the front even quicker than last time." Mrs. Russell winked at me, as she gave me an extra-large helping of mac and cheese.

"I had to drag this oaf the whole way," I said as I pointed at Danny. "But so, worth it" I smiled and continued along with my tray getting a chocolate milk, Jell-O cup, and bag of chips. Mrs. Russell was the best she always gave me extra, and then Danny extra too so I could eat his as well. We found our way to our usual table and sat down with Vivian, Jeremy, and Rockell. They all as if out of instinct just put a spoonful of mac and cheese on my plate. Ah, I have such great friends I thought to myself as I dug into the pile of glorious cheese gooeyness in front of me.

This was the last good lunch I remember. The last good day I really remember, because from that day on everything in my world changed. And to be honest, I wish that it would've just stayed the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think so far?

What do you think flips Abalene's life upside down?

Thank you for reading! <3