Chapter 3

when Ram saw Priya, he was instantly infatuated by her radiant smile and deep black eyes. She was nursing a wounded puppy, and the sight of her caused a sharp pain in his heart. Without understanding why, he ran to Guru Tai and immediately expressed his desire to marry Priya. He wanted to own her from the very instant he saw her because that was how he had been brought up—he had always been given everything he hadever wanted. Guru Tai had been a protective mother, who had constantly told him that everyone else was inferior. As a child, playtime for Ram was sitting on the riverbank of theVimala every evening and watching golden fish swim by, with guards standing watch. During theday, he attended the local school, under the supervision of Sumedh Rara’s guards, because his father feared that his stepbrothers might hurthis son. Due to Ram’s protective upbringing, he had never fully understood how toshare with or care about others. To him, love meant to own something and never let it go. The way women were treated around Ram had given him the impression that they were no morethan pretty objects who took care of household chores, without any life of their own.When Ram saw Priya, he wanted to own her and have her to himself, and he thought that, maybe, she could lend a hand in the Sayan household. Initially, Guru Tai rejected the sharma’s proposal, but at Ram’s request, she reconsidered. She had no children of her own, and Ram was the son of Sumedh Rara’s mistress, Pushpini, who had went missing when Ram was young. The villagebelieved that Guru Tai had thrown Pushpini to a pack of wolves for refusing to stay away from her husband, but Pushpini’s body was never found, and there was no proof of murder. Guru Tai had maintained her innocence and had takencare of Ram herself. The sharma’s expressed concern for what they could offer as a dowry. The amount was so little that it angered Guru Tai, who took the offer as an insult, throwing the family out of her home. Priya felt helpless and wished she could somehow make the humiliation easier for her parents, who pleaded with Guru Tai. It wasn’t until Guru Tai saw Ram’s glowing face that she changed her mind and accepted the sharma’s proposal, all the while cursing Priya for attracting her son despite the smile on her face. Jealous and hurt, she finally agreed with the stipulations that Priya must stay at home after the marriage, the sharma’s must sell their cattle and sweetmeat shop, and they must provide 20 sacks of gold asa dowry. It wasn’t enough for Guru Tai that Priyawas flawlessly beautiful and the most educated girl in Pravadh.As Priya walked toward the mantap escorted by her parents, beautiful memories flooded her mind and heart. She recalled how when she was a little girl her father, Mr. sharma, would return home from the sweetmeat shop, tired and sweaty. Even so, he never let it show on his face.Instead, he would freshen up immediately and then come out in the most energetic mood, ready to take Priya out. Priya loved going on cycle rides with him, and her father knew it. Theywould travel on his bicycle every evening, Priya sitting in the front and Mr. sharma sitting behind. They would navigate through the colorful bylanes of Pravadh and share beautiful conversations as they rode along. Mr. sharma would tell Priya about funny encounters at his sweetmeat shop, and Priya would tell him what new things she had learned from Ma. Each day as they cycled through the streets of Pravadh, little shops appeared along the sides of the streets, and Priya would ask for something new. On some days if it was cotton candy, and on other days it was a lollipop. Mr. sharma wanted nothing more than to see his daughter happy, so he would buy her whatever she wanted.Usually after cycling for an hour or so, they would go up to the Pravadh mountaintop and watch the glorious sunset. More often than not, the sky would adorn itself with brilliant reds and oranges. If there was enough light, Mr. sharma would start a school lesson and teach Priya something new each day. Since Priya never went to school, Mr. sharma made it a point to educate her himself. On most days, they heard the grasses rustling behind them, as if they werewhispering to one another, and watch the fishes in the Vimala River leap and sing in the golden, sun-dappled waters. Priya would enjoy her lollipop or cotton candy as Mr. sharma read from the book. When the birds huddled with their loved ones,anticipating the day's end, and the sun had disappeared along with its light, the stars peeked out from the black night sky and lit their faces. It was time for hide and seek. They would play for a good half an hour before going back to the lesson. Her father would switch on the lantern he carried and start reading from the lesson book under the stars. Priya would listen intently but eventually fall asleep on his lap. Then her father would carry her home and put her to bed. All of these beautiful memories camerushing back to Priya as she walked to the mantap. Time had flown by, and now it was time to say goodbye and start a new life. Priya wanted to hug her father tightly one last time, but seeing his smiling face, she held back her tears and continued walking toward the mantap.The wedding was arranged to take place in the middle of the Kashyapi Forest, at the border of Pravadh and Bandhunagar. The forest was considered auspicious by the Sayans, because the sacred Vimala River had its origin there. It was believed that fairies often bathed in the Vimala at night, and that its blue color derived from their wings. Ancient myths claimed that ferocious beings, half-lion and half-wolf, guardedthe birthplace of the Vimala. They were said to attack only if someone caused harm to the forest. Nobody had ever bothered members of the Sayan clan when they held their ceremonies there, and so if there was ever an auspicious event in the Sayan home, it was celebrated in theKashyapi. The sharmas slowly escorted Priya, taking her up to a point and then stopping. Priyacontinued hesitantly, constantly looking back at her parents as she inched closer to the mantap. Anxiety twisted in her stomach, and she could feel her cheeks getting hot.Ram, Guru Tai, and Sumedh Rara stood silently by the sacred fireplace, waiting for Priyato arrive. Ram did not turn even once to look at the beautiful Priya. Now that she had agreed to the marriage, she would soon be underhis control. He stood there like a stone pillar, expressionless, as if he had lost interest in her. The mantap, which was decorated with deep redflower blossoms, had been erected right in the middle of the forest. All around, almond-brown trees stood serenely, awash with a tender glow from the first blush of the morning. Looms of light filtered down in beams of gold, chasing shadows and spilling into spaces where mist had earlier stalked. As Priya continued to walk, she arrived at a wide glade where the trees fell away, revealing the morning sky. It appeared likea child’s painting, overflowing with pinks and oranges, reflecting off low-hanging clouds, and filling the world below with wonder. The last of the morning’s stars were glinting like freshly-cut diamonds while the golden sun glowed in the distance, casting a honeyed sheen over the trees. Bags of gold and jewelry that were on offer as dowry to the Sayans surrounded the mantap area, as if a treasure chest had spilled its contents. Despite having sold their sweetmeat shop and cattle, the sharmas were overjoyed that their only daughter would be married into the most reputable family in Pravadh. Little did they know that Priya wanted a different life, and that the marriage threatened to make her into a caged bird with clipped wings.