Chapter 4 (Rye)

The house is echoing from the loud laughter of the person standing infront of me.

Rye.

He is my cousin from New York. He told me that he was coming home but I never thought it was now.

"You could have seen the look on your face! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" I stumbled while climbing the ladder with the reddest color in the world.

"Shut up. I hate you for doing that." I went inside the kitchen to cook for my brunch. (Breakfast and lunch)

He exhaled a deep breath and controlled himself.

But failed.

"Why did you wake up so late? I thought you were dead. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" I got my spoon and throwed it to him. But he is an expert in flexibility.

"If I know. You could have changed the time in my alarm clock.How's New York?" I asked. Poured a hot water in the mug and stirred it with the coffee powder inside. "How's mom?" I went infront of him and gave the coffee to him.

"Great." He sipped. "I'm going home next week." I stopped. And looked at him. Looking for signs of lying or joking. But he's serious.

"Already?" I asked. Continuing what I am supposed to be doing and went infront of him and sipped at my already-made coffee.

"Yeah. I just need. A time-off. That's why I went back here at the Philippines." There is definitely something wrong.

"It's about Gauia, isn't it?" Asking him with the obviously right reason.

"Yeahhhh" he sighed. I feel pitty for my cousin. He love her sooo much. More than he loves anybody else.

If only I can freeze time for him and let him enjoy everything. Without the realization. Without the time ticking.

"I tried to fight for her." He started. "I tried to make her stay. But I wasn't enough. Not in her eyes." And he started weeping. I reached for his back and stroked it back and forth.

I miss the old Rye. The Rye full of happiness. Full of life. Not the other way around.

"Rye. Some things aren't supposed to be what you wanted it to be. Sometimes. You have to let the thing you like the most go." I said to him. Getting all my words from the dictionary of wisdom.

"But I don't like her Catherine." Silence.

"I love her."

I was moved. Stoned. Stunned. Inspired.

Rye. Please don't cry. I want to say it to him. But instead I hugged him until he cried all the pain away. When he was done crying everything. I let him rest in my room. He fell asleep fast. But before I left the room. I heard him sob and said.

"Gauia. Please come back."

I sighed.

I have to go to New York.