Chapter 1: the first day of high school

Maya's perspective

I'm on my way to Riley's house when I hear the faint sound of singing. I roll my eyes knowing that it's Riley. How could she be singing on the first day of school? ESPECIALLY high school? I'm so scared for the first day. What if I can't find my classes? What if I trip and fall down the stairs? What if I find nobody to sit with at lunch? There are so many things to be scared about, but I don't let Riley know that.

"Hey Riles!" I say as I open up the window to Riley's room. She stops brushing her hair and runs over and hugs me.

"MAYA!! We're officially freshman! Do you know what that means?"

I pull away from her hug and fall onto her bed with a sigh.

"It means we're one year older, which means more homework, harder teachers, and stress."

She takes my arm and pulls me up from the bed.

"And guess who's our teacher?" Riley says with a happy smile.

Just then Cory Matthews, Riley's dad, walks in.

"I heard my name?" He says.

"Dad! Or should I say teacher? I can't wait to see you at school today!" Riley runs up to him and gives him a hug.

Okay, what kind of teenage girl is excited to see her dad at school? I give a confused look, but they don't seem to mind.

"You girls better hurry up, or you'll be late for my class!" Cory states, then walks out of the room.

I turn to Riley.

"Here's to new beginnings, Riles. Good luck today, and I'll see you at lunch."

"I wish we had more classes together, Maya. See you at lunch today. Let's go take on the world of high school!"

I smile at Riley, and we crawl out the window and walk to school. Riley was super happy for her first day, but little did she know it was also her first for something else. Riley's mood toward school is going to change real fast.