Red String of Fate

Neria sighed and looked at Luca, slightly annoyed with the whole situation. How did she always get stuck helping him when she honestly couldn’t stand him?

"You do know that you are doing that wrong?" She asked trying to keep her tone cool thou the frustration showed on her face.

Luca glowered at her. “I think I know how to cast a simple ice spell,” he replied, not bothering to hide the agitation in his voice. Maker, it was just his luck, getting partnered with Neria on this mission. When he had volunteered to help the Mage’s Collective, he had not volunteered to put up with this infuriating woman.

"It’s not my fault you’ve got poor technique." If she was going to criticize him every five seconds, he wouldn’t hesitate to snap back.

"Poor technique?" Neria scoffed and narrowed her gaze at him. "Obviously I must have done something right a long the way since I can cast the spell and you cannot."

She was going to have a conversation with whoever ran the Mages’ Collective and make sure that they never pair her with this overly irritating man ever again! When she offered her help, she didn’t think that they would saddle her with Luca. Maker, help her but she wanted to freeze that look of annoyance to his face permanently

"Just because my ice forms differently than yours, that doesn’t make it any less effective," he said, turning away from her and continuing down the dark alleyway.

If he were lucky, they would make it into the blood mage den, dispatch them quickly, and return the tome they stole from the Collective in the same day. He couldn’t imagine putting up with Neria any longer.

"If I recall right, no ice formed at all." Neria stated as she followed him down the alley. "It fell slightly flat. If anything else in your life is like your ice magic, I feel sorry for your ego."

She brushed passed him and continued walking. She was hoping this went quickly, she couldn’t take the idea of being stuck with him longer than a couple of hours. Not if she wanted to retain her sanity.

Luca stared at her, his mouth slightly open. Then, after regaining his composure, he muttered, “Well, you would know all about ice, wouldn’t you?”

He followed after her, careful to keep his pace just barely slower than hers. Why hadn’t he been assigned to someone he had fought with before? The occasions that he and Neria had been partnered, it had always been simple deliveries and escorts. Luca had never really seen her in action. Maker, he hoped that she performed as well as she seemed to believe. She wouldn’t be able to just ridicule blood mages into submission.

Neria shot a glance over her shoulder at him and raised her brow. “Oh yes especially since I am such a icy bitch.” She said it evenly, her voice steady.

Reaching the end of the alley, Neria paused at the door and motioned to Luca. He seemed to be the take lead kinda man. She has never battled with him before, the only time she seen him do any sort of magic was that ice spell and that worked out so brilliantly.

"After you." She said simply, waiting for Luca.

Luca pressed past her, his hard gaze shifting from her to the door. It had a simple lock, easy for him to break open with the right amount of pressure. It made a little more noise than he liked, but he doubted they would be able to maintain secrecy for long once they entered the den.

"Try to keep up," he said over his shoulder before hurrying through the door.

He sensed Neria following close behind him, and decided that even though she was a pain, she was probably smart enough to not go wandering off. He crept down the narrow, dimly lit hallway, only stopping until he got to the first door.