Chapter One

Hushed whispers, gentle steps, flooding light, a tender kiss brushes my forehead as a deep voice whispers, "we will meet again mon lapin." I moan softly and peer across my room as the door is quietly shut, leaving me in pitch black darkness, I sit up quickly making my head feel heavy.

Was that dad?

Suddenly a slam and rumbling of the engine, headlights shine through the small gap in my curtains. I scramble out of bed to look out the window, lights are fading in the distance of the long driveway. My face turns white and my mouth goes dry.
I swing my door open so hard it bangs against the wall, leaving a slight mark in the paint work.

Why's he leaving? Where's he going?
What's he doing?

I run down the stairs to the front door, repeatedly screaming out "dad" all the while. Mum is standing outside with her arms folded over her chest, I run past her and around the fountain. My mind is ticking away at a hundred miles an hour. I don't stop running until the lights dissolve into the misty winter fog.

My vision goes blurry as tears flood my eyes, he's gone, he's really gone. I turn around to see a shadow lingering ahead. As I look up I see mums arms out to me, I walk over to her and fall into her limp embrace.

A tear rolls down my cheek and I feel so lost and alone, I manage to mumble, "dad," before collapsing to the ground.
I stare grimly at the pebbles directly in front of my eyes and let out one last scream.
"DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD"