Chapter Four

The taxi pulls up outside a tall white two-story house, the snow from the night before still covers the ground and trees. We get out and grab our bags then we slowly wade through the sea of white, fluffy snow.

When we eventually reach the front door mum drops all her bags and fumbles around for the keys, she drags her hand out holding the shiny piece of metal and places it into the keyhole. The key turns then, 'click,' a sudden gush of wind swings the door wide open to reveal a spacious modern room.

We wander through the house imagining what it's going to look like when it's furnished, then we make our way up the steps to claim our bedrooms. I pull my little suitcase through the door and straight ahead is a breath-taking view of the village below. "Mum, come quickly," I shout. 

She appears behind me and I hear a gasp." I turn around and smile, something I haven't done much of lately. "It's perfect," I whisper, and she pulls me into a tight hug.

Once I've laid out my thin sleeping bag and neatly folded my clothes, I decide to explore the forest behind our house. It seems to me that until the truck comes with the rest of our stuff, that's pretty much all I can do.

I pull on my khaki bomber jacket and wrap a grey knitted scarf around my long neck, then I chuck on some converse and sweep my hair up into a loose bun. I run down the stairs and out the huge glass doors, the fresh air fills my nostrils and in front of me is an empty pool lined with ceramic tiles. I run around it and through the back gate, tall trees loom over head and I can see a path leading further into the forest. 

After walking through the forest I see that not far from where I'm standing is what seems to be an abandoned tree house, strewn across the roof is a thick layer of snow, the excitement takes over my body and I start to run towards it. When I'm standing directly in front of it I scan the base of the tree for a ladder, I can only see a gap in the boards to get through so I use my monkey skills to climb up the thick trunk.  

Once inside I spot a toolbox with a few nails and a hammer, piled next to that is a whole bunch of blankets sprinkled with snow. I decide to create some walls using the blankets and nails, while sorting through the pile I find three rather large ones that are just the right size. I've only ever watched dad use a hammer so I'm not very good at banging the nails in to place but eventually I've hung them all up, creating a cozy little hut. 

With the remaining blankets I squeeze them together forming a beanbag like shape and sit that in one corner, then I see that the sun is starting to set so I head back home. 

I open the back door and step into the living room, there are no lights on so I stare cautiously at the ground as I make my way to the stairs. Mums door is partially open, causing a slither of light to escape through the gap, I slowly push it open to reveal mum on her laptop. She turns around and says, "where were you Addie?" Her crisp British accent is relaxing to hear, "I was just exploring the forest mum." A smile spreads across her face as I say this, "see, I told you it would be fun," she exclaims. 

It's an hour later and we're sitting on the floor in the kitchen eating pizza, "so do you like the new house?" Mums asks. I cram a slice into my mouth as she says this so I reply with a nod, "that's good darling." Once my mouth is empty I ask her, "when is the truck coming?" "Tomorrow I think," "I can't wait to sleep in a bed." She laughs and we talk for another hour before we head upstairs and get changed.

After debating for a few minutes we decide to watch the fault in our stars for the one millionth time. We cuddle up together in her room cocooned in blankets and cry for basically the whole movie.

When the movie finishes I waddle back to my room surrounded in blankets and flop down onto the floor. I pull out my phone and text my friends in France, but they're one hour ahead so not all of them are still up. Then it's social media time, but nothing much is going on so I just watch YouTube for a few hours. After that I play some games and muck around on snapchat. 

Eventually I put my phone down and I get out of my cocoon, I walk over to the floor to ceiling window and stare out to the glistening lights ahead, then as unshed tears shine in my eyes I whisper, "where in the world are you papa." After a few seconds I turn around and slip back under the blankets. As I lay there staring at the beam of light shadowing the carpet I slowly doze off into a dream about what St Evanston High will be like.

Authors note: I'm doing the same thing again so make sure to follow, vote and leave a comment when your done for a sneak preview. 🙂