First Memory

My grandma was in the hospital. My sister had just gotten out of the hospital. My mom was always crying, my second sister never talked to me, my dad was always angry.

That's what was on my mind one day, playing volleyball in gym. I had always loved volley ball. Or so I thought. That same year I quit and never played again.

I wasn't in a good mood. I was on the verge of tears, trying so hard to stay on that court and not run away like a little kid. I was in sixth grade. I was old enough to handle a little sadness. Right?

I missed the ball and lost a point for my team. Again. A girl storms over to me to get the ball as I stare down at it, consumed in my thoughts.

"Why don't you actually try?" She stared at me, a look of hate scrunching her face. She was one of my best friends.

"I am..." I had nothing else to say.

"Yeah right. You're so useless, just get off the court." Her words rang in my head, echoing over and over.

That's what my head does. Takes.a few words and throws them around endlessly, getting louder and louder. More jumbled, more overpowering.

Until finally I snap. With tears in my eues i yelled at her to shut up and ran to one of two bathroom stalls in the locker room. I sobbed. I thought that girl was my friend.

She and I were inseperable at one point. We always played together at recess. We always sat by eachother at lunch.

What had I done?

People came and went to check on me, but I just sat in silence, muffling my wimpers and sniffles.

That was the first thing I recalled the summer after sophomore year.