The Power is Out

For this assignment we had to pick seven words out of the dictionary.  I picked seven words that I had never heard of before, then we had to write a story including them.  My words were:

trepan- used for drilling holes in the skull

verisimilitude- appearance of truth

mo hair- hair from a special kind of goat

verve- enthusiastic

toff- socialite

syzygy- when three planets allign

mulct- deprived by trickery

Here goess!!!! :D

Once every 5,264 years, three planets line up to form a syzygy.  The last year that this happened was the fateful day of December 21, 2012.  The day before, an extremely verve toff’s memory was mulct.  Being the popular socialite that she was, she had many friends asking what had happened to her.  Her best friend was a bit strange, and believed in odd ways to cure memory loss.

He tried many ways to cure his friend’s lost memory, including bringing a goat’s mo hair to her hospital bed.  This, along with every other thing he tried, did not work.  As he was walking home from the hospital, he saw a verisimilitude on a bright billboard.  It was advertising a surgical trepan.  Being the good friend he was, the man bought it for his friend; hoping that she would regain her memory soon.

The next day, he cut the power to the hospital, sending the doctors and nurses into a frenzied panic.  During the chaos, he snuck into his friend’s room to test out the trepan.  He took the sharp metal cylinder out of its box.  Carefully, he began the slow process of cutting and scraping a circular hole into her skull.  Once the trepanning procedure was finished, he left his friend and returned home.

The man wished that his friend would get better.  That night, he received a call from her saying that her memory had returned.  She realized that it was 2012, and that the world was going to end soon.  After hearing this, the man had a heart attack, fell off his roof, and was rushed to the hospital immediately, only to find that he could not be saved because the power was down.