Chapter 6

Brendon led me into the dim room, which was set up with many large round tables and a stage in the front. We walked towards an 8-seater table, where our names were written on small papers in front of our seats. I had no idea who I'd be sitting next to, let alone who was even at this event, but I decided that I'd just have to stick through with either being quiet or talking to Brendon all night. As soon as we sat down, the lights lowered a bit, although you could still see everything in the room.

          A tall, blonde woman wearing a long beige dress and red lipstick sat down besides me, with who I'm assuming was her husband, right next to her. There was a few other people who sat around the table too, and all of them seemed to know each other. The room was filled with voices, which seeming to come from everybody but me. I was taken out of my thoughts when Brendon put a hand on my shoulder. He was standing up, talking to a man in front of him, so I assumed he wanted to introduce me.

          "John, meet Bianca, my date for tonight." I stood up and held out my hand to shake John's. "Hello, it's very nice to meet you." I said, earning a nod from him in response. He was a bit of an older man, holding a cigar between his teeth. When we released hands, the woman who had been sitting next to me came into the little circle we had formed.

          "John! It's so good to see you!" She squealed. She had a perfect smile- all of her teeth were perfectly white and aligned. She pulled her, who I assumed to be husband, into the group. The man and John exchanged hands and started talking immediately. Brendon joined in too, leaving me and the woman alone.

           "So, are you here with Brendon?" She asked, turning to me. She smiled again, putting her hands together at her stomach. "Uh, yeah. We aren't dating though, I, well, my friend kind of begged me to come. Not that Brendon's a bad guy, or anything-" I tried to straighten my words out, when she gently rested a hand on my shoulder. "I know, it's hard to warm up to him. I've definitely never seen him with a girl before, but I think you two will work out great." She smiled. I nodded and looked back over to the men to avoid awkward eye contact. 

          "I'm Linda by the way, Spencer's girlfriend." She said, looking up to the other man who was smiling at her. I assumed that was Spencer. "You two are an adorable couple. I'm Bianca." I smiled. The lights dimmed down and the stage lights were now lighting up the room a little bit, other than the candles on our tables. The men stopped their conversation and we all scattered back to our seats.

          "Hello everyone, my name is Rick Maxwell. Welcome to our auction dinner. Tonight, as the appetizers comes around to your tables, we will be starting the first part of the auction." A man on the stage announced. Behind him, ten carts from the other room were rolled out and waiters placed our food at our tables. As I picked at my food, I didn't dare to look up to see how they were auctioning things for. I guess Brendon noticed, because he took my hand in his, rubbing his thumb in circles against my skin.

          Although I didn't really mind holding hands with him, I didn't necessarily enjoy it, yet I blushed at his effort to make me happy. I was taken out of my thoughts when Linda nudged me. "I put my name on the list for that purse." She said, nodding towards the stage. It was the same purse I had seen earlier.

          The purse began to be bid off, random people around the room, including Linda, raising the numbers higher. I watched as the price went higher than anything I owned, and finally Linda had the final bid. One of the workers carried the purse down from the stage to our table, handing it to her. She smiled, and Spencer watched her examine it. I watched her too, wondering what it was like to live a life of so much money. It's not like I was living in poverty or anything, but they were definitely not on the same class as me.

           "It's a beautiful purse, isn't it?" She said in awe, turning it around in her hand. I nodded my head; it was a really nice purse. She smiled and looked up to me.

           "Why don't you keep it?" She asked, holding it in front of me. My eyes widened, was she seriously trying to give me a $30,000 purse?! I couldn't just take something like that from her; she was Brendon's friend. To be friends with her also tied me in even more with him, and I swore this would be a one time thing.

           "No, no, Linda, that's too much. I've just met you, I can't accept that." I exclaimed. I felt Brendon put a hand on my arm from behind me and squeezed it, as if telling me to shut up and to take the purse.

          "Bianca, seriously, it's a gift. Here's to our new friendship!" She laughed, picking up her glass of wine and holding it in the air. Before I could say anything, Brendon's arm reached around me and grabbed the purse.

          "Thank you, Linda, that was so thoughtful of you. Really, you didn't have to." He said for me, also grabbing his cup and clinking it with hers, and then Spencer's, who now had his wine in hand, too. I smiled and we all did cheers to new friendship- something that might put me farther in this hole than I wanted to be.