I'm Gone

I was in the car with my boyfriend Steven Elms, barreling down the highway since we decided to take a trip to Weeping Island, Georgia the week after our high school graduation. It didn't even matter that we were both going to Brown in the fall because this was our last opportunity for hedonistic fun before buckling down in college.

"This is going to be so epic Steven, " I said.

"I know."

I wiped a tear from my right eye. "I've always wanted to go back to Georgia because I have a lot of fond memories of vacations with my Grandparents."

More tears came to my eyes at the thought of my Grandparents since they had been dead for several years now, and my memories could thus be compared to a house going up in flames since they were oddly familiar as opposed to being concrete.

Steven took his focus off the road, staring me down. "Do you want to talk about it Teddy?"

"No. I'm fine."

Steven and I arrived in Weeping Island, Georgia three hours later while we drove across the bridge to get to the island.

The sky was naked in blue without any hint of cotton circles as the palm trees swayed in the warm wind while Steven and I continued traveling down the main roads.

My stomach twisted in ten different directions since there didn't appear to be anyone else on the island so far. It was also weird the island had sepia splattered everywhere. Oh well! Other people would appear in time. There was no doubt about it.

I gazed out the window as the outline of a silver milky figure stood out at me before I blinked and it was gone.

"Something wrong?" Steven asked.

I shook my head. "No. Everything is great. I couldn't be happier."

Steven snickered. "Even I don't believe that."

"I just want this to be a memorable trip."

"It will be. Just think of the trip like your first impression of me. You thought I was flaky and cold, but I proved you wrong."

I exhaled a long breath. "I guess you have a point."

I ended up spotting someone a few minutes later as the person happened to be plopped down on a bench on Main Street, and it was something at least even if I needed more convincing that Weeping Island remained a premium vacation spot.

***

Steven and I stood in an office sometime later as the two of us were in the process of checking into the bed and breakfast.

"It's so great to have some life in this place again," said the keeper of the bed and breakfast.

I opened the guest book to sign Steven and I in while my heart thumped inside my chest after realizing there were no signatures from the last year.

"How come there haven't been any other visitors lately?" I asked after scribbling both of our names in the guest book.

The man shrugged his shoulders. "What can I say? I guess people are watching their finances."

I bit my lip. "Yeah. That must be it."

***

Steven placed his suitcase on the bed before turning to look at me a few minutes after we arrived at our room. "I'm going to take a shower. But when I'm done why don't we grab a bite at Belle Isle? I hear they have the best Key Lime Pie in all of Georgia."

My mouth watered at the mention of Key Lime Pie. "Sure. I'd love to go."

Steven shut the door behind him after going into the bathroom, and it wasn't long before the sound of shower water echoed through the room.