Introvert

"Gladion, can I talk to you about something?"

That was how it started.

Gladion had stiffened, immediately groaning and saying, "Not if it's about Selene. I can't talk about that little brat right now; talking about her stresses me out almost as much as being around her."

Lillie rolled her eyes mildly. "It's not about Selene. It's just...well, it's a question. It's a sort of a general question. Just...don't get mad, okay? I want you to answer truthfully, because this is for your own good."

The older sibling narrowed his eyes at his sister—or rather, at the small screen of his Xtransceiver. Lillie's next visit was scheduled for the following week, and he planned to make the most of it. He never wasted that one week each month when she visited because, although he would never say it in front of anyone but Lillie herself, he missed her.

"Come on, Gladion, don't look like that," Lillie said, letting out a small sigh. "But I've seen how the others act around you. They want to get closer to you, and I think you should accept the offer. They've been making that offer this entire time, you know."

Gladion groaned again. "I know. God, I know. They've been shoving it in my face practically since they met me. But I don't have to be their friend. What good would it do? I'll probably just end up distracted at best or completely used at worst, like I was with our mother."

Lillie tensed, and he immediately regretted his words. He knew they were both still sensitive to the horrible episodes they'd gone through due to Lusamine, and Lillie hated it when he compared modern situations to their old one. She considered their lives to be going quite well and constantly called Gladion out on never appreciating it.

Gladion figured she was right. He was cynical. He knew that.

"Are you seriously comparing Selene, Elio and Hau—Hau—to our mother?" Lillie asked quietly, clearly disappointed in her brother.

Gladion bit his lip. "Sorry. I didn't—I didn't mean to do that."

"Yes, you did. You mean everything you do." Gladion winced at the notion while Lillie frowned. "But that's all right. I know how much Lusamine hurt you, because she hurt me, too."

"Then you should understand why I am not going to be anybody's friend," Gladion said in a bitter hiss. "Trusting people is dangerous. There are bad people out there, Lillie."

"I know, Gladion. I'm not a little kid anymore." Lillie pouted, warning Gladion not to oppose that statement while knowing from his face that he wanted to. "But you can't let our mother drive you away from people for the rest of your life. That's submitting to her, you know."

"I don't submit to anyone," Gladion shot back sharply, his voice deepening to a growl. "And I especially don't submit to her."

"You already are," Lillie whispered. The look in her eyes was so pitiful, and Gladion absolutely hated it. "You've given up on everyone just because of what she did to us." She paused, considering whether or not to say what she wanted to. "Do you love our mother?"

Her words were careful, like she was speaking to a wild animal that could attack and maul her at any second. And she might as well have; Gladion could be ferocious.

But she should know that he was never ferocious with her, never entirely.

"Of course I love Lusamine! But not for any reason besides the fact that she gave birth to us. She doesn't deserve to be our mother." Gladion looked down. "What she did was unforgivable, Lillie...I still don't know how you're taking care of her in Kanto."