The Edge Of Glory

"Come on, Street Rat. Keep moving."

"What are you going to do, kill me?"

"Do you want someone else to die because of your mistakes?"

Faces of ghosts pass through my eyes. My family. The Street Rats. Maciej. I let the bad guys win. I let me win. I am not the hero. I've let him down.

I walk along the roof of the building, not caring about the noise made by my boots. It would be so easy to just jump off the roof. I want to jump off the roof.

But I can't. I can't let more people die because of my mistakes.

I enter the door that is on the roof and head down the stairway. It's pitch black, which doesn't bother me. It just means I can't see. The dark scares everyone else, but they're also all afraid of dying.

I hear some people speaking in the next room. It's the members of the opposing mafia in the town. They're a newer group, but the asshole boss man is worried. We're supposed to go in and take their money which they keep in a safe in this damned building. They're apparently planning some huge attack in the near future and the boss wants to deter them as much as possible.

It's no big deal to me one way or the other. My only release is an "accidental" death, being shot during a mission or some freak accident not caused by me. That is the only way I can die without hurting anyone else.

So, I nonchalantly walk into the building, hoping, praying that I will be shot and killed. Apparently, the group of assholes behind me are new and don't know me well enough to be comfortable around my casual attitude. They keep whispering at me to get down and be more quiet.

I break the door down, smiling all the more now that the newbies have been made uncomfortable. The door gives and swings open, revealing four people with guns, the safe guards. I walk right through all of them, not paying any mind. They're all in complete shock, too. They can't believe anyone is stupid enough to greet death like this.

I walk up to the safe and begin unlocking it. I had been told the code before, so it is effortless. The men in the room look as if they've seen a ghost, none of them daring to even move as I grab the money and stuff it in my arms.

"Come on, are you not even going to shoot at me?" They didn't move, just stared at me. "What the hell? Are you this fucking stupid? Snap out of it! I'm right here! I am taking your money! Aren't you going to stop me?"

One of them shakes his head and the other three follow suit. "Idiots." I walk past all of this bullshit and even my own group is staring at me, not unlike the night that I lost the Street Rats. Their faces blur past my vision, Maciej's dwindling in front of my head, his words cutting through everything.

I drop the money inside the bag one of the newbies was carrying and run upstairs. I need to be alone.

I stare down at the ground from the roof. It would do it. It would kill me. I can't risk anyone else's life. I can't be worse than I already am. I stand up, the edge too mesmerizingly kind for its own good and for my own good, too. The drop is definitely high enough to kill me. It would provide plenty of time for silent contemplation on the way down.

No. Stop. I can't do it. People will shoot me eventually. It has to happen.

The bad guy always loses in the end. That's what Maciej always told me. I will lose at the end.