Ch. 12 No Pain Exists When He Smiles

The soft breeze pushes against me, sending a small chill down my spine. It's almost February. How long has it been since I've met Sans and the others, 3 months? It feels like a lifetime ago. So much has happened since then.

My trophy is still sitting next to the couch, my medal hanging from the neck. I was happy yes, so happy, but...

What now? I think to myself. Supers is the highest rank in the tennis community and I'm already too old to try and achieve Pro. Hell, there are 15 year olds beating Serena Williams. And I'm not that good that even if I were to somehow make it pro, I would only stay in the first round. It's that competitive.

I let out a sigh and look up at the sky, pulling the hoodie tighter around me. I don't know what else I could do. I need to stay in a sport because knowing me, if I stop I'm gonna only stay locked up in my room either studying or watching tv while shoving food down my throat.

Speaking of food, I need to get more ramen. I introduced it to Sans a while ago and since then, my ramen packs have mysteriously disappeared from my pantry. At least he's not just drinking ketchup.

I check my phone and see that I've been up here for about 2 hours. Time sure does fly. I get up and skid down the slope of the roof, catch myself on the gutter and swing myself into the open window of Sans' room.

It was empty. Sans had left to practice and he didn't wake me, which I was grateful for. After the nightmare last night, I couldn't go back to sleep for a while. It's not often that I have nightmares about that certain event, but usually I'm able to go to sleep after I've calmed down. My guess was the fact that Sans was there and he was able to comfort me that I just decided to finally let all of my emotions out.

He cradled me like a child, rocking back and forth and whispering calming and sweet things into my ear. Sans eventually started to cry too cause I just wasn't able to stop screaming and sobbing. Thankfully, Papyrus had left a little earlier to go do something with Mettaton so he wasn't there to witness my break down.

It took a while, but eventually I had calmed down but I wouldn't go back to sleep so Sans and I just sat on the bed, me pressed against his chest while he held me tightly.

No one spoke for the rest of the night.

We had gone to sleep at some point. But I felt bad for having Sans stay up when he had practice the next day. He must be exhausted. I desperately tried to force myself to sleep a few times but the sounds of the gunshot and my Dad's yelling always caused me to jolt awake and my crying would start again.

I look down at my hands and notice that I have some blood under my nails. I was probably scratching again. Thank the gods above that Sans was a skeleton, otherwise I would've cut him up if he had skin. I leave the room to the bathroom and wash the blood under my nails.

When I look up at the mirror, I see a different girl than I saw last night. She had bags under her eyes and her hair was a mess. There were some red marks running along her neck and cheeks. Sans' jacket hung loosely around her small frame.

I look down at the counter and pulled his jacket around me tightly, burying my face into the soft fur on the hood. I had woken up with it on my shoulders. Sans must've placed it on me before he left, taking his dancing one which was absent from its place on the floor.

I walk into the kitchen but the walk back out. I didn't feel like eating right now. I flop onto the couch, letting myself sink into the cushions. I wanted to call Kate but I realized that she's probably practicing as well.

I look over at the trophy and I let out a sigh. I still don't know what to do. Playing tennis would just mean me participating in tournaments, but for what? I've already archived Supers, what else could I do? I still love tennis dearly but...what?