ONE: The Transferee

“According to Howard Gardner, there are multiple intelligences and with this conclusion bore an academy that nurtures the different intelligences. Only the gifted have the chance to cross the borderline that separates the world of normal Earthen from the gifted’s,” Artemis read the golden description embedded on to the stone placed in the entrance as she passed through the enormous golden gate, that also has the statue of a man, which she thinks is Gardner, the founder of the academy.

Even though she got a hint about the place she’s right now, she can’t deny the confusion she’s feeling inside. Gift? She does not even know if she really belongs here. She have neither talent nor powers that can make her different from others. She does not excel on anything.

“Is that one of the transferees?” She heard a voice behind her.

“Yes. I think so, she looks lost and I wonder which department is she designated,” said the other.

Hoping to know more about the school, Artemis turned her back and tried to approach the two girls which she thinks were older than her. “Hi there, I was just hoping if you can he-

Even though she’s not yet finish talking to them, they proceeded in walking and ignored her. But she heard the girl talks about something. “Ignore her. We’re in a hurry, Ema. Let’s go to the President’s Hall before Dean arrives.”

Artemis followed the two girls, curious of what will happen. As they walked through the aisle, she can’t help herself but to feel awe upon seeing eight buildings separated from each other. They vary on sizes and structural designs and the most captivating among the rest the one in the middle which is the way students and the two girls she’s following are now going through.

“I hope Dean Stentorian shows the best transferees,” said the guy with the violet uniform.

“Nope. I think it’s Dean Davinc who brings the most talented students all the time,” argue the other man which wears a green uniform.

Artemis only found out now that students also have distinctions from each and she can tell it by looking at their uniforms which increases her curiosity.

“Shut up, guys. I know it’s our Dean Speare who is the talented one,” boast the girl with the black uniform.

Artemis does not know who is telling the truth. They are all proud of their Deans and what so depressing is that she does not know whom they are talking about.

“Hey! Look at them,” said the girl pointing at the group of students wearing outstanding uniforms. That’s the prettiest and most eye catchy uniform among the rest. It has this weird design in their uniform but alluring indeed. She had seen that design before which is a village amidst a dark wilderness, complete with dampened lights. Some buildings manage to emit just enough light to be noticed, but others, including notably the church, are dark and unwelcoming. However, the real action is what is going on above the town, where the moon and swirling stars light up the sky. Light moves across the sky in great sweeps and strokes, defeating the dark sky wherever it is encountered and brings a hypnotic effect when you stare at it but she was not sure where she saw it.

“They’re bunch of idiots,” remarked the guy with blonde hair that wears red uniform. The rest of the students who heard, laughed, even the ones who wear yellow.

“They possess the most useless gift. Why doesn’t the Head Master eradicate them and be gone forever?” said the pink head while chewing her gum with black uniform.

“Yes, indeed. Gone forever. Dean Artiel deserves better. Why did he choose to handle those losers?” mocked the girl who has a blonde hair and white skin like porcelain. If it’s not in the way she speaks, Artemis would actually believe that she’s kind and soft-hearted one. Looks might be deceiving, she guessed.