Palace of Light

A legend retold

by Curtis Peter van Gorder

The sultan’s trumpet sounded. “Soon he will arrive. Make sure that we are ready for him!” Abbanes, the sultan’s chief vizier*, announced from the balcony to all of the servants, who gathered in the courtyard below him. At the clap of his hands, the servants all throughout the palace scurried immediately off to their duties. Everyone could hear him, for the palace was constructed in such a way that a hand clapped from a certain point echoed throughout the vast fortress.

The numerous palace attendants all knew what was required of them. They also knew what would happen to them if they were negligent in their duties, for they had been taught that the sultan’s business required haste.

The sultan’s caravan was a wonder to behold. It stretched from the palace gates atop the steep granite hill, some 400 feet high, deep down into the distance below. Camels and elephants laden with riches and spices from distant exotic lands slowly navigated the winding road and over a bridge that spanned a moat.

The procession arrived at the palace gates. These massive gates had huge, sharp, pointed spikes protruding outward, which prevented attacking armies from battering them in. These gates were now flung wide open to greet the sultan’s entourage*. Inside the open entrance way stood Jamshid, the sultan’s brother.

“Welcome home, my brother!” Jamshid exclaimed. “We have eagerly waited to see your face.”

“And I yours,” the sultan replied.

The sultan looked up to see that the entire court had come out to welcome him. From atop the entrance gates and ramparts*, a thousand ladies dressed in fine silk dresses of every color had come out to greet him. Handsome noblemen cheered him and waved their arms wildly in adulation*. A shower of rose petals fluttered down upon the procession, and the air was filled with a delightful aroma.

The camel carrying the prestigious passenger snorted and bellowed, then stooped down on its knobby knees as the sultan alighted. The sultan was immediately surrounded by a host of servants ready to attend to his every need, and who waited to refresh him from his arduous journey.

The sultan was quickly led to his scented bath, which would be followed by a massage from his ladies in waiting, and a light meal of fruit and delicacies. After having been refreshed and fed, the sultan summoned Abbanes, who soon appeared, bowing as he entered the sultan’s presence. Standing next to the sultan was his brother, Jamshid.

“Abbanes,” the sultan began, “in my travels I have seen magnificent palaces that far outshine any building that I have ever imagined. These buildings inspire the respect of their people, and the fear of their enemies. I wish to build such a monument in stone that shall be known throughout the world for many generations to come. I want people to stop and marvel at this wonderful creation.”

Abbanes raised his head slightly and spoke respectfully, “But sir, if I may say so, your palace is already fabulous in wealth and glory. Its splendor has dazzled the eyes of many travelers. It has”

The sultan raised his hand for silence. “It must now be more magnificent yet,” he said. “I will make my palace greater than any other. It must be greater than anything on Earth to house my great riches, for even now I have acquired in my travels one of the world’s most precious diamonds. Should it not also have the most exquisite palace to house it? Can you help me to build such a palace?”

“Your wish is my command, your majesty,” Abbanes answered, as he lay prostrate on the floor, “but I have no knowledge in such affairs.”

“Why not have Abbanes seek out a man who will be able to build such an edifice of glory?” Jamshid suggested.