Chapter 4: The House

December 31

I open my eyes slowly to be met with the same cool leather I woke up to before. I thought that maybe it was a dream, I hoped that it was a dream. No, it's real.

"Good morning, Riley," he seems to force a chuckle at the end, "or should I say good evening. You slept through the morning drive."

I swallow and sit up slowly.

"So, uh, w-where are we going?"

"We'll be there in about five minutes." He grins at me through the mirror. My eyebrows pinch together and I look down.

What's my game plan once I get there? What can I do to try and escape?

"I just hope you know I'm not going to try and do anything to you." He snaps me out of my thoughts. I stare at him for a moment.

"I-I understand, b-but why are you doing this?"

"You'll understand soon." His icy blue eyes shift back to the road.

The moon shines down on the empty back road. I watch out of the window and see the top of a gravel driveway.

James turns on his blinker and slowly turns into the drive. The gravel sound fills the car instead of the silence.

"I'll be making dinner once we get you settled." James remarks. I nod at him slowly and bite the side of my cheek.

The forest floor is hidden by a thick layer of snow and the ancient pine trees hide the moon, only allowing its light to seep through here and there.

I stare down at the rope that bounds my legs together. Is he going to take this off soon?

The wind breathes out a low whistle. I look out the window just as a building comes into view.

We park in front of a large home. It looks ancient, but that could just be due to weather damage. A porch wraps its way around the front of the house and wooden patio furniture sits welcomingly on the brown planks. Large windows fill the white siding of the bottom story and more circular ones fill the top.

The car door is pulled open forcefully and Humber stares in at me.

"Don't run." He whispers before leaning over me. His long fingers begin to untie the rope from my ankles.

He lifts the rope from the car floor, rolls it up quickly and walks to the trunk of the car.

I stare at the darkness in front of me. This could be my chance. My breathing quickens and I rub the side of my head. I won't make it. I have to wait.

Humber comes back around and sticks out his hand. I take it and step out into the chilly, evening breeze. The hospital gown flaps in the wind and I rub my arms to try to keep warm.

"There are clothes already in your room," he says from behind me as he guides me up the stairs, "I would rather prefer that you put on a dress for dinner, however."

I bit my lip as he sticks a key into the lock of the door and pushes it open. He grips my shoulder and leads us inside, I hear the click of the lock from behind us.