Chapter One

My fiance, Emily, and I had finally closed on our new home - a cozy two-bedroom that sat secluded in a small, foresty town in Vermont. The location wasn't ideal, but for the price, it was going for, we decided to take it. I guess that should have been my first warning sign. If a beautiful house is going for a low price, it must have some sort of history.

Still, being young and exhilarated at the idea of our own place, we moved in the day that we received the keys. I remember that day clearly. It was the last day I'd felt normal. It was the first day of my sleep paralysis.

From when the sun came up to when the sun came down, we had friends and family coming and going. We were moving constantly, trying to get boxes unpacked and organized as fast as possible. There wasn't a quiet moment until night, and when night finally came and we could settle in, I could barely keep my eyes open. I knew that night I'd be dead to the world as soon as my head touched the pillow, and nobody would be able to wake me until noon the next day. But I was wrong.

My eyes snapped open so suddenly. I looked at the clock. It was exactly 3:00 am. It felt like my whole body was being pressed down upon, but not lightly, more like if someone piled cement blocks on every inch of my body. I tried to roll over, but found myself unable to. My whole entire body was paralyzed, except I could still move my eyes, but only my eyes.

I glanced around the room, trying to keep calm, waiting for this to pass. I knew enough about sleep paralysis, and I figured it would soon be over. But as I waited, I noticed a nauseating smell start to contaminate the fresh air in my room. It was like a mix of rotten eggs and the sidewalk after it rained. It filled my nostrils, almost suffocating me.

Tap, tap, tap.

Footsteps across the hardwood floor. Maybe Emily had been thirsty and got up to get a glass of water.

A quick look to the right dismissed that idea. She was fast asleep right beside me.

Tap, tap, tap.

The footsteps grew closer, coming to a stop at the end of my bed. Maybe this was only a dream? First night in a new house? Of course I was bound to have nightmares.

The Earthly smell grew stronger and stronger, and I felt the sheets at the end of the bed shift. My eyes stayed glued to the ceiling. Don't look, don't look, don't look. I repeated to myself, creating a mantra.

A low, guttural sound broke the silence. I couldn't describe it as a groan, because it sounded too inhuman. It sounded more like a splitting of air. The inside of a vortex. Nothing I knew could make a sound like that.

Against my better judgment, I decided to look.

Just as it looked back at me.

I found I couldn't tear my gaze away from the distorted creature standing at my feet. It's skeletal head dangled at a 45-degree-angle, it's jaw wide open and impossibly long, and it's large, pitch black eyes staring into my soul.

My stomach churned, sweat pouring down my forehead. This isn't real, this isn't real. Wake up. Wake up!

Clack. Clack. Clack-clack-clack. The jaws of the distorted creature at my feet suddenly started to snap open and shut, open and shut, going at a superhuman speed. Slowly it lifted one arm, pointing a twisted finger at me, it's jaw unhinging and opening so wide that it's chin touched the bed.

Suddenly, I regained my movement. Snapping up, I reached for the lamp beside my bed. Light flooded the room and I faced the foot of my bed again, only to find nothing there.

I turned to check the time, the clock read exactly 3:00 am.

Emily stirred, reaching out a hand and rubbing my shoulder, "You okay?".

"Yes... I must've had a nightmare,", I mumbled, taking one final look around the room before shutting the light off.

"Come here", she said, "I'll protect you."

I slid my body closer to hers and she planted a warming kiss on my forehead. I laid there, attempting to fall asleep, ignoring the fact that I could still faintly smell rotten eggs.