I. My Not-So-Prince-Charming and His Icy Blue Eyes

Picture of Cassandra ----->

I love fairy tales. I really do. I want everything; the Prince Charming, the white carriage, the grand ball, the beautiful gown and the glass slippers. In this case I get to have everything I want, except one thing… love. Yes, I’m going to marry the Prince Charming and I get everything that comes along with him. But I’m not getting the magical moments, the kiss under the moonlight and the proposal on one knee. This story has everything it needs for it to become a fairy tale, but it doesn’t have love. And love is what I want the most.

I shake my head and try to rid myself of these thoughts as I continue to walk towards the ornate double doors that would open to a room that would signal the beginning of my new life. It’s still so mind-boggling, how I’ve come from a normal everyday girl to the future wife of the heir to the biggest multinational corporation in the world. I couldn’t believe arranged marriages still existed in this modern day world, but here I am about to walk in on one.

I reach the doors now and take a deep breath as the butler pushes it open. I take in the expensive and tastefully furnished interior and feel my nervousness grow.

I am greeted by a tall elegantly dressed man in his 60s. His hair is white and receding and his skin wrinkled, but the glint in his blue eyes and the radiant smile on his face makes him look years younger. He must have been so handsome in his youth. It’s hard to believe that this man has manipulated my life and turned it upside down. Yet I couldn’t feel any animosity towards him.

“Cassandra, my dear girl, you look just like your grandmother. She also had those same soft, hazel eyes. I always teased her about having puppy dog eyes; she hated that because she always regarded herself as a tough person.” His expression turns wistful for a second before he settles his gaze back on me.

“You must be very tired. I apologize for having called for you immediately just right after your flight from the Philippines. I am afraid this cannot wait any longer, my grandson will be leaving the country for a week and I would like for you to meet him before he leaves. Come and sit with me while we wait for Alexander.” He points to a plush Victorian sofa and invites me to sit with him.

I straighten my skirt and cross my hands on my lap in an attempt to calm my soaring nerves. I smile and look at my future grandfather-in-law.

“My parents send their apologies for their absence, Mr. Pryce. Papa has some urgent business to attend to and Mama refuses to leave without him. They promise to come before the wedding though.”

“Please, just call me Robert. There is no use for formalities, we will soon be family. And I understand, your parents must be very busy managing that corporation of yours.”

As always, I want to say.

My family owns an old business empire in the Philippines that has been in our name for a century now. My Spanish ancestors came to the country and started a business growing sugar canes and from generation to generation, the business expanded until an empire was built.

I know I am lucky to have any material thing I want in the world, but sometimes I just want my parents to be ordinary, loving parents instead of being celebrated business tycoons.

“I know this must feel very awkward for you, Cassandra. But I assure you that my grandson has a very remarkable character and he will treat you well, as you deserve.”

Robert takes my hand and clasps it with an urgency that I look at him with alarmed curiosity.

“I must say this, though. Life has been very hard for that grandson of mine and I am afraid to say that he is somewhat… closed to the world. It might be very hard for you to take down the walls he built up for himself but I hope you won’t give up on him.”

I look at him, dumbfounded and confused. I knew, of course that a loveless marriage would await me here but I thought I might have at least friendship with my future husband. I don’t want a cold marriage, like my parent’s. It would eat me up. I feel choked, and feel as if I might faint in a minute but the door sweeps open and my eyes meet blue ones. Blue eyes just like Robert’s but somehow different; cold, empty. They feel like ice.

Thanks for reading! Please give me yout thoughts. I apologize if it's short and boring but I promise the next chapter will be longer and more interesting!

Lots of love,

Gen