Chapter Six

Rache is awoken in the morning by a knock on her door. Groaning she rolls out of bed and opens the door.

"You've looked better," Lei says when seeing Rache. Rache was about to reply with an insult before realizing that Lei looks concerned.

"Never say that to a girl," she replys instead.
"What did they do to you?" Lei asks quietly.

Rache waves her hand, "nothing physical. Just was given a meal a day. Why are you here?" She adds when she remembers how he was the one who knocked her out.

"I'm supposed to escort you to the town square."

"Last time you escorted me somewhere I got locked in a cage and you punched me in the face."

"I didn't- that wasn't-"

"You. I know, I kinda pieced together what happens when you drink the Bile."

"I still have to take you there," Lei winces slightly, "Like right now."

"Fine," Rache says reluctantly.

She leaves her room and starts to go down the hallway.

"What happened while I was gone for two weeks?"

Lei looks at Rache panicked, "you were out for four weeks."

"No, because Zerif gave me a meal everyday," Rache stops moving confused, "I counted 14 meals."

"I knocked you out for three days," Lei adds quietly, "now we still have to move."

"I'm going, I'm going," Rache starts walking again, "but how? Unless, he gave me a meal every second day."

Rache gets a quick flashback of her ribs being visible. The days always seemed really long in the cell, but she dismissed it as a sign of being lonely.

"You look like you skipped a meal everyday," Lei says rubbing his face, "it's my fault. I shouldn't have let you go."

"It's not your fault, you didn't have a choice. Now what happened for four weeks."

Lei scratches the back of his head to remember, "well, Devin took the Bile. He got 'bonded' to a black panther, like the one from the legend."

"The black panther was already summoned," Rache interrupts.

Lei glances at her oddly, "no, not that we know of. Unless you do?"

"No," Rache says hurriedly, "where's Devin?"

"Off doing some mission for Gerathon. If he succeeds he's sister will get what she needs. He left a week ago, and he says goodbye and hopes to see you soon."

Rache snorts, "yeah, no. I'm not joining Gerathon."

"Conor and Rollan, Briggian and Essix summoners, came to Trunswick."

"Wait Conor was here?" Rache interrupts again.

"If you keep interrupting I won't tell you anything," Rache begrudgingly remains silent, "okay, so they were here and Devin acted like himself per usual to Conor, but they escaped with the help of Abeke and Meilin, Uraza and Jhi's summoner. Now both sides are trying to get the boars talisman. That's about it."

"Why are we going to the town square?" Rache asks opening the Trunswick's gate. Outside it was starting to turn into night and she could see a faint glow from the town square. Lei noticed too and started to grow pale.

"I don't know. I'm going to warn you though a lot has changed. This town is now allied with the Conquerors, and people aren't very trusting. Anyone who has a spirit animal has to take the bile and if they don't, they watch their spirit animals burn. Anyone who opposes or fights gets locked in the howling house."

"They can't do that," Rache protests.

"He's the earl and Gerathon is a great beast. No one will oppose them. It's bad, but there's nothing to do. Just be happy they haven't done conscription yet."

Rache glances up at the windows and notices that all of them are shut and barricaded. They pass the Nolanna's healing store and Rache freezes at the state of it. The glass was smashed and all herbs were taken from the room.

"Where's Nolanna?" Rache asks panicked.

"I- I don't know."

"Don't lie, Lei," Rache says whirling around her eyes flashing.

"She's dead," Lei answers, "she-she didn't want to join the Conquerors so Bo was put to die. She jumped in the fire with her."

Rache feels all the blood flow out of her face. She remembers the faint glow and starts to shake.

"Why I'm I going to the town square," she demands.

"I don't know. We have to go if you want to see."

Rache and Lei turn the final corner to see the towns square. The smell of burning things fill the air and Rache covers her nose. A large stage was set up and on it sits a girl no older than Rache. She had dark black hair that reached to her mid back and she looked to be of Zhongese descendent.

"Ah, you must be Rache," the girl says, "my name is Lexa," suddenly the girl's eyes flash to yellow, "but feel free to call me Gerathon."

"What do you want?" Rache asks crossing her arm.

"Well, you see," Lexa's eyes return to dark brown, "you are annoying. All you had to do was drink the bile. But no you had to be difficult."

"Obviously I must be important if Gerathon is willing to spend so much energy on me."

"Oh you are," Lexa's eyes briefly flash yellow again, "but I know what to do. I see Devin's memories. I see the conversation you had about your family. You are very loyal to them Rache. I also noticed that you didn't care about yourself."

"Where's this going?" Rache asks annoyed.

"Look around."

Rache glares at Lexa suspiciously before taking in her surroundings. There was the stage Lexa was on, and on the stage was 4 poles with tinder around them.

"What are you doing," Rache demands.

"Getting you to take the Bile. You love your family correct? Well, here they are," Lexa claps once and four guards drag out four of Rache's family.

"Mom? Dad? What's going on?" Rache asks her voice rising in pitch. She moves to see her family, but two arms hold her back. Looking back Rache sees Lei his eyes a sickly yellow.

"Lei, let go!" Rache demands, "Roger! Where's Charlie?"

Roger's blue eyes meet Rache's green, "they took him."

"Lei, LET GO!" Rache shouts. She brings her head forward and back hitting the boy in the head. A loud crack is heard and Lei let's go. Blood starts to pour out of his nose and his normal brown eyes fill with shock, "shit, sorry mate," Rache apologizes before moving forward again.

Suddenly Lexa slams into her. Rache ends up on her back and Lexa pins her down. Around the girls neck rests a brown cobra.

"You don't know this, but poison is what I'm good at," a cold feeling spreads across Rache's body, "and that poison will paralyze you."

Rache trys to wiggle or move in any way, but she can't.

"Now, why don't we negotiate somethings," Lexa says grinning wickedly, "the bile or your family?"

Lexa pushes Rache's head to face her family who are all tied to a stake. Two guards hold up burning torches.

"It's your choice, don't make the wrong one."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lei really needs to stop being possessed. Oh yeah, Rache's family is a bit tied up at the moment (PUNTASTIC).

I found the best song to represent the four heroes.

I'm going to try and make a video for it but idk yet.