Setting The Linebackers

There are three positions in the Lions linebacking sets. The middle backer is a team leader. He will call the plays sent in from the coaches.

Tahir Whitehead is the middle backer for the Lions. He is signed for 2017. After that season he could become a free agent. Bob Quin must decide what to do with him. If he resigns it could be a three or four years deal. It should get done possibly this off season.

DeAndre Levy is the weak side backer for the team. He played 17 plays in 2015 before an injury ended his year. After surgery he returned for 2016. After missing the first 11 games of the year he slowly moved back into his role. Quin believes that he can return in 2017 and be healthy. He can not depend on that after the last two years production. He must decide whether to even keep Levy on the roster. Levy would make 8 million this year.

Antoine Williams could play the strong side in 2017. He was drafted in 2016. During the year he gained some needed experience.

Thurston Armbrister is also available for a position. He could work in the Lions rotation.

Detroit has two free agents in Jon Bostic and Josh Bynes. After the Van Noy trade to New England, Bynes took over the strong side.

The Lions could sign these two guys again or seek players from other teams. My guess is that they eventually resign them and sign one or two other people.

Detroit could also draft a player to this group. When training camp starts in July they could have a dozen linebackers on the roster.