2017 Free Agency Begins

On Thursday, March 9th. Free Agency began. The first task at hand was to improve the Offensive line. The team let Riley Reiff and Larry Warford move on. Detroit signed Rick Wagner as their new Right Tackle and T J Lang as their new Right Guard.

There had been too much poor blocking on the right side of the line. The running game in 2016 dropped to 30th out of 32 teams. They had allowed too much pressure from that side of the line. Lang and Wagner were clearly better options than Reiff and Warford.

They wanted to improve the blocking at the Tight End opposition and signed Darren Fells, free agencies best available blocker. He was rated number 4 best blocker at that position. His availability makes Detroit's running and passing games better. Now that the blocking is better they can concentrate on other parts of the team.

The signing of WR KeShawn Martin gives them a talented return man for punts and kicks. He also gives them another receiver.

They have been addressing the defense as well. LB Paul Worrilow will help to add strength to their weak linebacking core. He was a starter for 3 years in Atlanta with over 100 tackles per year.

D J Hayden will challenge for the Nickleback position. Quandre Diggs was in that spot in 2016, and was injured at mid season.

Cornelius Washington will add depth at DE, and Akeen Spence will help out the DT position. Both guys will compete for starting rolls with the Lions.

There are 8 new signees after 4 days. They continue to have visits from potential players. There will be several more signings, and their own free agents will continue to sign, as well. Warford signed with the Saints, Reiff to Minnesota, and DT Stephen Charles to the Jags. They have 16 free agents remaining. Several have been told that they will not return.

As of now they have resigned LS Don Muhlbach, DT Khyri Thornton, DE Kerry Hyder, DE Brandon Copeland, WR TJ Jones, and tendered OT Cornelius Lucas.

The team has cut LB DeAndre Levy due to health and contract reasons. Of the 16 remaining Lions free agents at least 7 will not be returning. Most of them have already been notified of the teams decisions. They will need to find work elsewhere. The other 9 guys could return, some or all of them.

Free agency is for teams to fill holes in their rosters and to build depth. The draft helps teams to find and groom potential starters. The Lions are doing a great job under Bob Quin. As more signings occur and they near the draft I will offer more updates. Go Lions!!!