III

Alexander watched the retreating bloody back of his best friend. Vladimir Academy has just won the first task and everyone in the school was celebrating – everyone except for the champion himself.

Ivannah stood beside Alexander, wide-eyed and lips half-opened. Dimitri has always been more reserved compared to Parris and it took him some time to warm up to them as they stayed together in the special wing of the school. She could even perfectly remember the conversation they had earlier that day and a few minutes before the first task. Ivannah couldn't understand how Dimitri could turn so cold all of a sudden.

Was it something I did? Or something I said?

Letting out a sigh, she faced Alex and smiled at him.

"Congratulations to you guys! It looks like Mr. Dragonov didn't like the water that much." She said, chuckling. Alexander looked at the doorway, then to the bed where the nurses were slapping on some green paste on Parris' body and then back at Ivannah.

Alex can't help but grin. "Thanks Ivannah. You were amazing out there." He said as he bid his goodbye and ran to his best friend.

Dimitri was in his bedroom, drying the blood on his back with the towels he took. As a vampire, it wasn't exactly painful but the blood loss meant he needed to replenish it soon before his thirst takes hold of him. He grumpily shoved the towels into the hamper when the door busted open to reveal Alex, still with the grin on his face.

"Congrats, Lover Boy!" he said as he jumped on Dimitri's bed.

"Shut up." Dimitri spat back as he put on a clean shirt.

"Seryoso kasi. Congrats dude." Alex said.

"Thanks" Dimitri sat by his table where a bunch of books and papers were scattered all over. Alex took one before chuckling.

"Le Chanteur" he read the title of the page. The atmosphere in the room suddenly became heavy as Alex sat up from the bed to face his best fiiend.

"I've done research, Lex." Dimitri sighed. Alex remained silent, urging him to continue talking. "It's not something the Morois just came up with for procreation. It's true. It's all over our history." He said, pointing at the scrolls and books in front of him.

"So it's real, what they say? This smell that you keep telling me about?" Alex asked.

"Yes and it's driving me crazy. I don't even know how I manage to keep myself off of Ivannah." Dimitri said as his fangs sprung up with just the thought of Ivannah and her smell.

"Okay Dimitri, TMI." Alex said with a laugh as he read the contents of the paper he was holding.

"Le Chanteur or the singer to the Morois is what a soulmate is to humans, or a mate is to the werewolves. It is unknown if other vampire species have an equivalent for Le Chanteur but it is believed that every Moroi has one. The trouble lies in finding them. Many wait a long time, some even centuries, to find their chanteur while some decide not to wait and find a pair among their covens to procreate with.

To a moroi, his/her chanteur's blood smells of a sweet and inviting aroma, calling out to them like a song, thus the term "Le Chanteur". It is said that ingesting the blood of their chanteur makes a Moroi stronger but the taste of their blood is also almost addictive."

"Don't you feel like this is all too familiar? I mean this – the leader of the Morois drawn into a Lamia. It almost feels like history is repeating itself." He looked at Dimitri with concern in this eyes.

"Look dude. You're my best friend and not everyone finds their chanteur but remember what happened to her father and mother. Ivannah is living proof of the destruction that union brought. Viktor Petrova was one of our best supremos but what did he do in the end? He chose a Lamia , Anais Vasiliev, who was after his throne over his people. He betrayed us and thousands died because of that." Alex said. "You said it yourself. They're nice to look at but dude, these Lamias cannot be trusted. And you are a Dragonov. You have a responsibility to keep. "