III [Chapter Three]

Wordcount: 2111

Warnings: Language, vague mentioning of slightly mature behavior. 

When Louis returned home later that day he was instantly met by Eleanor's familiar voice echoing through his apartment. She must have ended work early, Louis thought as he unbuttoned his denim jacket and threw it carelessly to the floor, following the faint noise of Eleanor's voice to the kitchen.

"Yeah I know, I know-", Eleanor said into the phone, twirling a strand of her hair through her fingers, "Babe, listen-", she went on, stopping abruptly as she noticed her boyfriend had come home.

"Hey El", he greeted, opening the fridge in search of something edible while doing so. "Look, I gotta go, I'll call later, I promise.", she ended the call quickly, looking up at Louis with a half smile, "Hi Louis."

"Who was that?", Louis asked curiously, mouth full of cold, leftover pizza as he watched Eleanor only shrug in answer, scrunching her nose in disgust at Louis' poor eating habits.

"Just a friend.", she assured him before embracing him in a tight hug, "Nice day?".

Louis only shook his head at that, thinking back to his earlier conversation with Liam and Zayn before answering her truthfully, "Nah."

"So, look", he started and watched as Eleanor fiddled with the hem of her creme colored blouse, her hazel eyes set on Louis, "I thought that if we wanted to-- we could join Niall, Harry, Zayn and Li tonight. They're having dinner at some place and it's been forever, hasn't it?", Louis finished with a crooked smile only to see Eleanor looking slightly skeptical at his offering.

"Oh, I don't know Lou.", Eleanor said slowly, "I thought we could spend the night just the two of us for a change, you know", she paused, smiling at him softly before continuing. "We haven't slept together in ages.", she added with a smirk and Louis only nodded nervously at that.

She was right, of course. In fact, it had been nearly two months since the two had done more than kiss each other quickly at the most.

"We've both been very busy.", Louis whispered in her ear, "With your job, me working late nights at drama school-- we've had nearly no time together.", he said, feeling slightly guilty for meeting up with Harry so often, and very rarely prioritizing Eleanor.

"Well, in that case-- I s'pose you could cancel it then, right babe? For me?", she asked him sweetly, burrowing her nose in his neck, and Louis wanted to protest, hell, he had pretty much promised Liam he'd come meet with them, he'd missed the boys too, but Eleanor was right, they'd been spending nearly no time at all with each other lately. And who was Louis to deny his girlfriend?

"Yeah, okay. Sure.", Louis said, still hesitating slightly. The brunette only smiled fondly at that.

"Knew I could count on you, babe.", Eleanor said softly and Louis felt his stomach twist with guilt at her words, but smiled at her nonetheless. He wasn't sure how long he could keep up with this game of guilt. Wasn't sure if Eleanor ever would take him back if she truly knew what he and Harry had done with one another and the thought alone of Eleanor figuring out what he'd done was cringeworthy.