IIII [Chapter Four]

Word Count: 2001

Louis had been rushing through his apartment nervously the past few minutes, fidgeting like crazy. He was acting stupid, couldn't sit still for even a mere minute.

He was standing with his hands burrowed deep in his pockets, trying to keep his breathing at ease when a loud knock finally sounded through the apartment.

Running towards the door, Louis almost fell over own his feet as he stumbled towards the wooden door, mouth dry and eyes wide with anticipation as he opened it carefully.

And there stood Harry, gorgeous Harry; dressed in some denim shirt Louis couldn't remember and black jeans, hair a tousled mess of dark cocoa locks and big eyes boring into Louis'.

"Hey.", Harry was the first to break the silence, grin wide and eyes sparkling. He looked happy, Louis thought.

"Come in, uh--", Louis started but bit his lip awkwardly. He wasn't sure of what to say, so he kept silent and only watched as Harry folded his gray coat together neatly, much unlike Louis who'd always toss his jacket to the floor carelessly.

"Thanks for coming.", the eldest of the two finally spoke, and Harry only smiled some more at that. "It's nothing, really. Niall left early for a party--", he started, sparkling eyes locked on Louis as he continued.

"--And Zayn and Liam were all over each other after only a glass of wine each, and by the end of the night I swear I even caught Liam trying to dry hump Zayn.", Harry finished with a smirk and Louis chuckled, reminding himself he'd need to mention this to a less drunk Liam later. His friend would be insanely embarrassed for sure.

"You want some tea?", Louis asked then. Trying to act as if it all was normal. As if there wasn't any tension in the air at all, as if Louis actually could speak without embarrassing himself even a little.

And so he forced a smile and made them both tea, listened to Harry quoting something silly Niall had told him, watched intently as the younger boy slurped on his hot beverage.

Louis didn't even like tea, it tasted to dull, he was a coffee person always, liked it strong with heaps of sugar and even more cream, but he knew Harry preferred the first mentioned and so he stirred in his drink carefully, kept on listening to Harry talking.

It was relaxing. Familiar, just like the old days. Harry spoke slowly and laughed at his own jokes, gestured with his hands when he explained something, and smiled even though Louis rarely said anything.

"Was it nice then?", Harry asked later, Louis' tea now cold as he glanced uncertainly at the younger boy in front of him.

"What was nice?", he wondered and Harry looked down at the table before answering him. "Eleanor.", he explained then. "Was it, uh--", he paused and looked up at Louis with what seemed like a pained expression. Louis just shrugged it off.

"She left early?", Harry wanted to know and Louis felt his stomach tighten at Harry's intent glaring. "She wasn't feeling too well.", Louis explained in a short tone.

He'd always been a great liar, the words escaping his lips with expertise, no one ever being able to tell the difference between a white lie and the complicated truth when Louis was around.

Harry's lips slowly formed a silent oh, eyebrows slightly raised, as if he wasn't fully believing what Louis told him and Louis' lying skills being dammed.

They were both silent then, Louis keeping quiet, afraid of saying something stupid and Harry's eyes stayed locked on Louis. Almost as if he was trying to figure him out and that frightened the older boy, made him insanely nervous even.