Safe Haven

The stars lean down to kiss you
And I lie awake and miss you
Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere
'Cause I'll doze off safe and soundly
But I'll miss your arms around me
I'd send a postcard to you, dear
'Cause I wish you were here
- Vanilla Twilight; Owl City

Safe Haven

The soft street lights flickered one by one as the lone star—Polaris shone brightly in the violet speckled night sky. Different stalls started to open up as numerous people began to flood the streets. It was summer festival. The lively cheer of the townspeople distracted you from your deep thought.

You started to seep out of the thickening crowd before your breathing gets harder from suffocation. You noticed you were near the opening of a slightly thick forest; the summer fireflies lighting up so fine as you gazed at the dim place.

How long had it been? You don't remember, in all honesty.

But you remembered well how you felt that night...

That night when he disappeared.
_____________________________________

"Osomatsu? Osomatsu!" You shouted as you searched through the brightly lit forest where you first met. No, it can't be. Why now?

Why did he have to disappear when he made you feel this way?!

You suddenly remembered the silly grin that was plastered on his face as he rubbed his index finger under his nose.

"Osomatsu, I swear if you don't show up, I will—" You suddenly fell down, face first on the ground. If he was seeing you right now, he'll be fucking laughing at you.

Tears started to fall down your eyes in frustration as you gripped tightly on the festival mask that he had given you one night. It was shaped like a white fox adorned with small slits to permit vision. It was cute—was—because it's now tattered and crumpled due to your mighty fall.

You loved him.
You FUCKING loved him.

And he suddenly decided to leave you like that.

He was your friend; your hero; your home; your safe haven...

Okay, at first he was a shitty douche but who knew that you would fall in love with that douche?

He saved you so many times—physically.
And most importantly...emotionally.

You were depressed when you were a teen to the point of being suicidal. Once, you planned to kill yourself at an isolated forest, so that no one will know where you are.

And you liked the idea that solitude will be your final companion in your petty life.
You found a steep cliff shortly after and decided that this will be it.

Goodbye, oh cruel world.

"That would be the shittiest way to die, wouldn't you think?"

You whipped around to see a guy who was clad in a red yukata. He was smiling at you enigmatically as you threatened to let yourself fall. "This place is surely a popular place to die, huh?" He put his fingers under his chin—thinking.

"Who are you?" A question made its way on your mouth before you can stop yourself.

"Oh, me? Just a passerby!" He grinned as he held out his hand. "Come on, don't do that. Life will always get better."

"Who are you to tell me that?" You backed away, some of the rocks crumbling away from the edge. "You do not know me. You do not know my struggles! You don't even have the right to be acting empathetic towards me! I..." You bit your lips, fighting back a sob. "I just deserve to die."