Chapter 19 - True Colours

You hid your face as Sasuke ushered you through the corridors that night, avoiding anyone in sight. After a good half hour of throwing a tantrum outside of your bedroom door, Akihiro had eventually stalked off to let off some steam elsewhere, and it was then that you and the Uchiha had decided you had seen enough.

The whole palace was abuzz with news of Akihiro's outburst at the Crown Princess and her bodyguard, and already, rumours had begun to fly around. Some of them put you in the wrong; others, the Prince himself.

"Your Majesty! Your Majesty, please!" You and Sasuke were apprehended by a young guard running towards you, who ended up shivering in fear at Sasuke's sudden cold gaze. He clasped his hands together and looked up at you with fearful eyes, looking around warily.

"Who are you?" you asked haughtily, an eyebrow raised at this guard's unexpected nerve. He bowed deeply, excusing himself, and Sasuke let out a small, "Tch."

"I just wanted to warn you," he said breathlessly, still bent over in a 90 degree angle bow. "The Prince is up ahead, on his way to speak to his parents. Please, turn back and wait."

"Speak to his parents?" You and Sasuke exchanged looks of curiosity, no doubt in your minds that the King and Queen would have a lot to say to Akihiro about his behaviour.

"Yes, My Lady," said the guard.

"Why are you telling us this?" asked Sasuke coldly, scrutinizing the young man.

"I have heard the rumours, and I know that Crown Princess Yuki is not the one at fault," he said in a rush. "I know of the Crown Prince's behaviour, and what he would do. Please, turn back until the coast is clear. If need be, I will personally escort you two out of the palace."

"I'm kind of curious to see what kind of conversation will go down between the royal family..."

You looked at Sasuke with a mischievous glint in your eye, something he didn't like.

"Isn't it bad enough you nearly got raped?!" he exclaimed loudly, crossing his arms and turning away from you.

"This is a part of your job, Sasuke!" you retorted. "Is it not?"

Sasuke narrowed his eyes at you before facing the bowing guard.

"Hey. Where are the King and Queen's quarters?"

You saw the sharp red in his eyes, and sighed out of pity for the young soldier.

"Straight down the corridor and up the first stairwell on your left."

As soon as the soldier looked up and made eye contact with Sasuke, he froze on the spot and remained rooted to the ground, swaying slightly from side to side.

"Are you ready to be nosy?" he asked you, walking briskly past the guard and leading the way. You gathered your skirts and ran after the Uchiha, much too giddy for someone whose shoulders bore the weight of an entire kingdom's future.

"It's been forever since I've been able to do anything," you whined, albeit with a bright smile. "I feel like I've been suppressing myself for too long!"

Sasuke rolled his eyes at you.

"Can you please stay suppressed?"

***

You couldn't believe how easy it was to infiltrate the King and Queen's private sanctums.

I knew they weren't a shinobi nation, but this is like living in the dark ages, you thought to yourself as you and Sasuke walked straight past their guards, hidden by your Camouflage Jutsu. It was easy for you two to find where the trio were just by looking for their heat signatures, and even when you did, they eliminated any other challenges by leaving the door wide open.